2000 DODGE STRATUS TIMING BELT BROKE

• Allen.keskinen
  • 2000 DODGE STRATUS

2000 Dodge Stratus 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 139000 miles

I replaced the timing belt after it broke. Checked and double checked the timing I am certain it is correct. Car runs rough at idle and sometimes dies but runs smoothly when driving and RPM’s are up. Performed compression test and found cylinders 1, and 2 at 205 PSI found cylinder 3 at 175 psi and #4 at 150 psi. My question is with the 2.4 DOCH engine in this Stratus is valve train damage all most certain. I am very familiar with GM but don't have much of experience with Chrysler products. I am a a soldier hwo just returned from Iraq and am fixing my car my self as I don't have allot of funds available.

Thursday, March 11th, 2010 AT 3:09 PM

• Caradiodoc

Thank you for your service.

Yes, valve damage occurs when the belt breaks, but it is usually much more severe than simply running roughly. The compression readings suggest the valves aren't the problem. Did the belt really break or just jump a tooth or two?

If you had the battery disconnected, the Engine Computer will have to relearn minimum throttle. To meet the conditions for that to occur, drive at highway speed with the engine warmed up, then coast for at least seven seconds without touching the brake or gas pedals.

Thursday, March 11th, 2010 AT 3:25 PM
  • Allen.keskinen

Yes the belt did break the engine was at idle in traffic.
Thank you for your insight. I have don nothing but city driving since the repair. I will give this procedure a try. Thanks again

Friday, March 12th, 2010 AT 7:56 AM
  • 2CarPros Linsey

Thank you for using 2CarPros. Com. We appreciate your donation and look forward to helping you in the future.

Monday, March 15th, 2010 AT 3:52 PM