Horn Continually Blows

CLEBLANC23
  • 1998 DODGE STRATUS
Electrical problem 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 66000 miles

How do you remove the steering wheel to repair a short in the horn wire? The horn relay has been replaced, but the horn still blows continually. When you press the horn, the horn will stop for a moment, the start again. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Saturday, March 1st, 2008 AT 1:29 PM

KEN
In this case you would need to replace the airbag becasue the sensor is the unit. Here is a guide that will give you an idea of what you are in for when doing the job.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/air-bag-removal-steering-wheel

Here are some diagrams of your car (below)

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken
Monday, October 23rd, 2017 AT 3:41 PM
6211JOHN
  • 1998 DODGE STRATUS
1998 Dodge Stratus 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 187, 00 miles

I was driving today, June 12th and the horn sounded for no reason. My hands were not near the horn switch on the center of the steering wheel. It started and was acting like there is something loose in the steering column, because I was hearing something like a switch activating whenever I hit bumps or rough road. Questions: How can I disconnect the horn (need to know where it is) until I can get this fixed and what to have checked?
Tuesday, October 24th, 2017 AT 11:59 AM (Merged)
MULDOON
I had same problem on my 96 Stratus, the washers on torx screws on steering wear out and you get continous ground. You have to disconnect the battery leave off for 1 minute, take airbag off, 2 screws on side of steering wheel, torx, disconnect air bag be carefull and take off, you will see torx screws on column underneath, replace washer. Read edmunds manual its easy good luck, Declan.
+1
MULDOON
Anything to report, Declan.
GAMESTER
  • 1998 DODGE STRATUSDODGE STRATUS
98 stratus. Anyone had problems with horn coming on while driving and making a right turn. Anyone know how to get into the steering wheel pad to check out problem. The horn will come on while driving. The pad seems to be super sensitive and just making a right turn will get the horn blowing. I removed the fuse, but it controls the parking lights as well. How do I get into the steering column to check out the problem?
Tuesday, October 24th, 2017 AT 12:00 PM (Merged)
LADEVIC
I had the same problem with my sebring. I took it to a couple of shops and considering the cost and the time to take it apart which is a screw under the column, removing the wheel and having to maybe replace the airbag etc, they actually told me to just run a wire to the horns, from the fuse and attach a button. Darn thing works great. And it will pass inspection.