FRONT WHEEL BEARINGS

• RB French
  • Dodge Sprinter

I Have a 2003 Dodge sprinter 2500 with 48K miles and I'm replacing the brakes and want to repack the front wheel bearings. I was easily able to remove the outer bearing, but I'm not sure how the inner bearing is removed. Do I need a press or a special tool?

Monday, March 5th, 2007 AT 6:02 PM

• bubba_koski

Not to take off, the only time you need a press is when packing the rotor (plenty of grease) just be careful not to strip the spindle

Wednesday, March 7th, 2007 AT 4:25 PM
  • retiredauto

It's probably the grease seal holding the bearing in, you must pry out and repl. The seal after you repack the bearings, I am not familiar w/ a sprinter, but call local auto parts store and see if seal is available first, if so heres how tou cheat. W/ outer bearing removed and rotor still on spindle, re install nut(only) several turns(till spindle is flush w/ end of nut). Then pull rotor outward, sliding on spindle w/a quick motion. Nut should catch inner bearing and knock out seal. Thats the easiest way I can explain it. Good luck let me know how it works out for you.

Thursday, March 8th, 2007 AT 5:59 PM