DIED WHILE DRIVING. NOW WON'T START.

Dodge Spirit

supermegamom

September, 25, 2007 AT 9:05 AM

Last night my Dodge Spirit just died while I was driving it home. Now it cranks, but won't start. I want to get out there and start finding the problem, but I'd like some tips on where to start first.
I don't have a test light so electrical troubleshooting is going to be a challenge.
I'm thinking fuel issues.
The gas station I frequent changed gas providers and I'm wondering if the gas quality is an issue.
Can someone just give me a checklist of where to begin?

MASTERDAVE

February, 19, 2008 AT 8:40 PM

YOU SHOULD HAVE SOMEONE TURN THE KEY ON AND CRANK ENGINE WHILE YOU LISTEN FOR THE FUEL PUMP TO COME ON. IT COMES ON FOR APPROX. 3 SECONDS WHEN YOU CYCLE THE KEY, ALSO REMOVE BREATHER AT THROTTLE BODY AND SPRAY CARB CLEANER INTO OPEN THROTTLE PLATES AND THEN CRANK ENGINE. IF IT ATTEMPTS TO START THAT TELLS YOU FUEL DELIVERY IS A PROBLEM. POSSIBLE FUEL PUMP OR COULD BE AUTO SHUTDOWN RELAY UNDER HOOD? IF IT DOES NOT KICK I WOULD LOOK FOR SPARK TO THE PLUGS AS THEY ALSO HAVE PROBLEMS WITH PICK UP COIL INSIDE DISTRIBUTOR AND THE METAL PLATE IN DISTRIBUTOR LOOSE FROM FAULTY PLASTIC SPOT WELDS

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang