FRONT BRAKES

Dodge Ram

awr1001

April, 10, 2007 AT 11:43 AM

I reacently bought a 1999 Dodge Ram Van 1500. It has abs front disc brakes. I noticed one morning the front brakes started locking up and or pulling to the right even when I applied slight pressure. I noticed if I drag the brakes alittle bit somtimes they smooth out. I had a brake inspection (didn't tell him about my problem) and he said I need to turn the rotors replace the calipers and pads also said something about the bearings. Just woundering what I should do?

Service Writer

April, 10, 2007 AT 3:01 PM

It sounds like a possible stiff caliper that may or may not need replacement. You need to determine the source of the pull. A suspension problem should not be forgot about. A weak suspension component can cause a weight shift that can cause a pull when braking. Not as likley. A collapsed brake hose can casue a restriction that can cause a brake pull. Alos not likley. IF the caliper is pull, the way the pads are wearing can tell a story. Are they worn beveled, is one pad thin of the four, is just the outer pad thin etc. I would check to see for wear on the surface the pads are sliding on. I would evalute how difficult the caliper piston is when pressing it back in.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_cal1_1.jpg

If nothing is obvious in the front, I would also check the rear brakes for any abnormalities. Regardless, I would clean the rear brakes and adjust them out to balance the braking. A problem in the rear can cause a brake pull.

IF you decide to replace the front brakes, I would not turn the rotors, I'd replace them. I like Advance auto wearever rotors. The problem with turning them is it is more likley to end up with a brake pulsation as the heat is not dissapated as well, warping the rotors that are now thinner.

Replace Your Brake Caliper Like a Pro
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Ford Escape
Replace Rear Brake Pad-Rotor Subaru Legacy
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement Ford Explorer
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Brake Rotor Replacement - Rear