98 RAM 1500 5.9 EXTENDED CRANKING TIME ISSUE

• 98rammer
  • Dodge Ram

Hello to all. The truck has 60,000 miles. The problem is that it developed a prolonged cranking time issue about two years ago when the engine is warm. It starts every time, but it would crank for up to 15 seconds before it would start. When cold, it would fire right up. About a year ago, it reversed itself. Now when cold, it takes 5 to 10 seconds to start. When warm, it starts immediately. It has a new battery and cranks strong all the time. I can hear the fuel pump firing up when the key is turned to on position. Any ideas? If you need more info, let me know. Plugs, wires, serpentine belt changed at 50,000 miles. It does have a very slight, noticed only in the tach, drop in RPM at idle. And it pings like an SOB under load. Dealer says it is supposed to do that. Even gave me a print out stating this. I don't know if this helps, but I wanted to give as much info as possible.

Tuesday, May 29th, 2007 AT 12:25 PM

• Jack42

Has a fuel pressure test ever been done on the truck? If the pump is a little weak, then it might not be able to keep up causing a lean condition, and possibly pinging. If it is weak it would also explain the excessive cold cranking

Tuesday, May 29th, 2007 AT 5:18 PM
  • 98rammer

A very questionable garage tested it and, while they didn't tell me what the pressure was, they said number 8 injector and the fuel line are "bleeding down.&Quot; And they wanted $600 to take care of it. My thought was even if it is bleeding down, wouldn't the fuel pump prime it back up? Also, if it is bleeding into the engine giving a flooded condition, why would it change from cold to hot? I have since found an excellent garage and I can take it there if that is what you are thinking. Thanks.

Wednesday, May 30th, 2007 AT 6:12 AM
  • Jack42

When the pump tries tp reprime, there is air that must be forced out through the injectors, the system is sealed so it takes a couple times of the injectors hitting for the air to get out. Hot to cold, the PCm uses different parameters to start in differnet conditions, cold requires more fuel, hot less fuel. If the system is bleeding down it will be difficult to fix other problems, especially if an injector is questionable

Wednesday, May 30th, 2007 AT 7:52 AM
  • 98rammer

So, if I understand you right, first try the injector. If that doesn't help completely, go after the fuel pump. I appreciate all of your help with this.

Wednesday, May 30th, 2007 AT 9:24 AM
  • Jack42

Yes, that way if the injector is gas washing the cylinder, further wear could be prevented

Wednesday, May 30th, 2007 AT 12:02 PM
  • 98rammer

Thank you very much! I will get back to you for an update.

Wednesday, May 30th, 2007 AT 12:12 PM