1999 Dodge Ram Hard Starting

SOLDIERSCUBA
  • 1999 DODGE RAM
Dodge Ram 5.9L Hard starting after truck sits a few hours, it does start but cranks about 4 seconds or more, once it starts I can shut it off and it will start perfectlly as long as it does not sit long. Used to start up right away everytime. Checked fuel pressure had 44 PSI, got good spark, changed crankshaft sensor, checked camshaft sensor (per Haynes book) it checks good. Could it be compression?
Sunday, March 1st, 2009 AT 8:22 PM

With that mileage, I wouldn't think compression. Has the check engine light ever come on?
-1
Monday, March 2nd, 2009 AT 10:52 AM
SOLDIERSCUBA
No check engine light, gas mileage seems to be down too
Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009 AT 1:20 AM
WHen you checked the fuel pressure, did the pressure drop off quickly when the key was off?
Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009 AT 10:14 AM
SOLDIERSCUBA
Pressure stays at 44-45 when I shut the key off and holds there for quite awhile (still there 15 min later). I just checked it again when I turn the key on I get 44-45 PSI when I start the truck the fuel pressure goes to 48-50 PSI. Is that normal or should I be looking at the fuel pressure reg? (The Haynes book says spec is 35-45 PSI) but I cannot find anything about PSI with engine running.
Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009 AT 12:28 PM
Hi:
Running the pressure should be between 44psi and 54psi. So, yours is perfect.

Ok. We have good spark, and now we know the fuel pressure is good. What else. Check the egr to make sure there are no vacuum leaks and the valve is operatring properly (not stuck and seating) Next check for vacuum leaks. Check around intake, look for broken or damaged hoses. Have you ever checked the catylatic converter to see if it is plugging? Even though the check engine light isn't on, have you tried to scan for codes?

Let me know.

Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009 AT 1:22 PM
SOLDIERSCUBA
Found my problem (kinda feel dumb) When I changed the crankshaft sensor because it would not start I changed the cap an rotor and it started but was still hard starting so I started looking for another problem as you have read above then got to thinkin I haven't checked the spark plugs (about 60,000 miles on them) so on the way home from work stopped an bought plugs got home pulled the 1st one and it was pretty worn.071 gap all the rest about the same between.070 -.075 changed them, now starts like new and got my gas mileage back. Thanks for your help even though it was something I should have checked first.
Monday, March 9th, 2009 AT 2:02 AM
We all miss something. Heck, when you said you had good spark, I assumed they were new, and we know what happens when we assume.

Take care, and if you have questions in the future, let us know.

Monday, March 9th, 2009 AT 10:29 AM