Airbag light comes on intermittently

LADY UNIKHRN
  • 1999 DODGE RAM
Electrical problem V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 125000 miles

I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Magnum V8 Quad Cab and the airbag light comes on intermittently I have tried to pin down any particular reason for this ie… time between the light coming on and beeping each time, and the times it beeps before stopping and going out again, or is there a particular time of day or weather (too hot or too cold) factor that is affecting this, shutting the vehicle off and restarting to see if that makes its come on or will stop it. Nothing is consistent, it could go weeks with out it coming on or it could come on every time I start it for days in a row. The local dodge dealer in my town went bankrupt and closed down and the nearest one is more than 2 hours away.
Sunday, May 10th, 2009 AT 3:34 PM

KEN
What happens is the steering wheel clock spring goes out cause the air bag light to come on. Here is a guide to show you what you are in for when changing the part out.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/steering-wheel-clock-spring-removal

Here is what it will be like on your car (below)

Please let us know what happens so it will help others.

Cheers, Ken
Friday, October 13th, 2017 AT 1:21 PM
BECAR5
  • 2001 DODGE RAM
2001 Dodge Ram V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

truck was fine when I parked it, next morning windows wouldn't come up, speed guage dosn't work, no heat. Abs, and air bag light came on, truck runs fien starts up good. Wondering if you could plz help ty
Friday, October 13th, 2017 AT 1:21 PM (Merged)
Have the body control module tested. Also, you may want to check for bad or broken body ground straps.

Let me know what you find.

BECAR5
Thank you so much for the info, it is much appreciated. Will take ur advice and try it let you know soon. Thanks again
I look forward to hearing back from you.

DNICHOLLS
  • 1999 DODGE RAM
WITH CHIMES WHEN I AM DRIVING AND THEN GO OUT AFTER A WHILE? ON 2500 PU. The airbag light and a chime come on while driving, stay on a while and then go out. This repeats. What is the probable cause and how can I fix it?
+1
ASEMASTER6371
There is a fault in the srs system. You need a shop that can pull the code, accurately diag it and give you a bid. Do not try this yourself. You may deploy the air bag causing thousands in damage.

-2
SATURNTECH9
Unfortunately your first step would be to use a advanced scan tool capable of reading air bag codes on your car. That way you can use that fault code to lead you in a direction of diagnoses and repair. Otherwise you would be just guessing as to why the light is coming on randomly.
Friday, October 13th, 2017 AT 1:35 PM
KEN
Here is a new video we just did showing how to get the air bag codes so we can see whats going on.

https://youtu.be/gnSGfEqrf_w

Please let us know what you find. I'm interested to see what it is.

Cheers, Ken
Saturday, October 14th, 2017 AT 11:26 AM