1998 Dodge Ram Repair question

KEVFISH
  • 1998 DODGE RAM
Hi, I have a 98 Dodge ram with the 5.9 litre engine. I recently noticed it was leaking antifreez and brough it in to the local repair shop. It was determined that it was leaking around the timing chain cover gasket. I told them to go ahead and replace it. They also recommended and replaced the timing chain cause of some slop and the mileage on the vehicle.

When the shop was done they called and asked if I wanted them to look at the other problems and stated the battery is not charging and they hooked up to commputer and are getting transmission errror codes. Also the check engine light is on. I told them that the light was not on when I brought it in and every thing was working fine. The said that they did not do anything that would have caused this problem. The next day they called and said the truck needs a new computer.

My question is what could they have done that would have caused the computer to go? Truck was fine when I dropped it off there. Is there something they could have dnoe that htey are not aware of? Is there something else they should check before replacing the computer. What would be fair when it comes time to pay the bill?
Friday, August 21st, 2009 AT 3:19 PM

If it was me I'll ask what was the OBD2 code/s that popped the CEL. It doesn't mean bcuz the light came on that it needs a computer who knows could be just a sensor or a wiring problem or just need reflashing to correct things out

When the shop was done they called and asked if I wanted them to look at the other problems and stated the battery is not charging and they hooked up to commputer and are getting transmission errror codes.

If there's a problem with the battery being low and not taking the charge-the computer will not function correctly if its below 11volts therefore its gonna do a lot of weird things that will cause the CEL to lit up-
Friday, August 21st, 2009 AT 6:26 PM
KEVFISH
So what would I do with these codes. Will the codes tell me what happened? What should I ask the mechanic?
Friday, August 21st, 2009 AT 10:56 PM
It was brought in for antifreeze leak repair now were talking about computer going bye bye-

Ask the parts changer you need the OBD2 code/s or the diagnostics that says that the computer is defective and disappear from them don't look back and come back and post it-
Friday, August 21st, 2009 AT 11:16 PM
KEVFISH
I got the truck back and have a follow up question. If the mechanic disconnects the battery while repairing- will the radio in the truck lose its memory as far as the pre-set radio staions?
Tuesday, August 25th, 2009 AT 7:51 PM