1996 Dodge Ram Coolant leak

BUBBAGREEN96
  • 1996 DODGE RAM
I have a 96 dodge ram 1500 5.9 360 that overheated over the weekend and fried everything along the way. Ive replaced just about everything inbetween the radiator and the block and Im still leaking coolant like crazy. Got any ideas to fix the problem?
Thursday, October 15th, 2009 AT 11:16 AM

CH112063
Did you ever have any pressure applied to it. Or is it such a bad leak that it pours out? Where is it coming down? If you have replaced the radiator and both hoses and all bypass and overflow hoses and water pump and cover you may be leaking from the water pump because it is bad or maybe the gasket is not sealing. After that the heads must come off. You know they sell dye you can put in and see clearly with a black light but usually you can tell where a real bad leak is coming from. There are plenty of sensors screwed into the cooling system. I don't like taking the heads off but if you can't tell where it is coming from the gaskets for all three pieces could have leaks or you will see if there is a crack in the block if you remove the front cover. The radiator cap is new. It is tough enough when your looking at it. Are you having this done or doing it yourself.
Use water and see where the level stops leaking in the system. Was the water pump new. Maybe it cracked when installing it. The only place where it could be is there so take it down to the block. Take all pistons out, a crack will pump water like a high pressure pump and cause it to leak in the weirdest ways, even a tiny crack. I hope you can get it fixed. Good truck.
Is oil getting in the water or vice versa?
Friday, October 16th, 2009 AT 11:28 PM