OIL LIGHT

1996 Dodge

940_garibay

August, 1, 2008 AT 8:20 AM

1996 Other Dodge Models V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 210000 miles

Hi, I have a dodge ram 1500 5.9 (360 engine) 4x4. The engine light comes on when I have the truck in any gear, But when I take off it comes off. When I have it in park It is off. I was told to change the oil pump (a high volume one). What should I do and what is the root of the problem. Thank you for your time.

Jacobandnickolas

October, 10, 2008 AT 11:24 PM

Hi: Chances are things are wearing out. If the engine is original, a new pump wouldn't hurt. When you're stopped and put the truck in gear, you're lowering the rpm's thus slowing the oil pump. If it is worn enough, it won't supply enough pressure until the vehicle is put in neutral (rpm's slightly increase) or you hit the gas and they increase. Thus, more rpm's pump speeds up and increases pressure.

It does sound like it needs replaced.

NOTE: You can have the oil pressure checked to see if it's too low. Then you could make a more educated decision.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Mini Cooper
Engine Oil Change and Filter Saturn LS1
Engine Oil Change and Filter BMW X5
Engine Oil Change and Filter Jeep Wrangler