RAMCHARGER ISSUES

1985 Dodge

Ipak

September, 3, 2007 AT 10:47 AM

Hello, I have a 1985 Dodge Ramcharge 150 Royal SE, with a 318 V8 w/AT.

In the morning after work (working nights) the truck will start fine. After you get going, and stop at lights or stop at all it will stall. I had the carb and throttle adjusted. This didn't fix the problem.

I noticed the fan, alternator, and power steering belt were in pretty bad condition, so I replaced those hoping to fix the problem.

However the problem still persists.

Before it stalls the battery meter inside the truck goes crazy, if I push on the gas it stablizes. But as soon as I let go of the gas it will go back to trying to stall.

The other day I noticed some metal triangular honey comb like things came out of my exhaust, from the caty?

If it is clogged could this cause this problem? Or is there something else causing this?

Changing Drivebelt

Need Infomation. .

1 ANSWER

merlin2021

September, 3, 2007 AT 10:52 AM

Jerry that thing that came out of the exhaust is the " bed" of the converter, and pieces of it are lodged in your muffler! Yuo will need to get all this out, or change everything from the converter, all the way to the back of the truck! Then you'll have to find out why the converter busted up in the first place!

Ipak

September, 7, 2007 AT 12:53 AM

Thank you for your quick reply merlin. I changed out the muffler and catalytic converter. It runs better, however. I still have the stalling problem, what else could be the culprit?

merlin2021

September, 8, 2007 AT 8:31 AM

Now the reason the converter broke up is still going on check the 02 sensor it most likly needs to be replaced!

merlin2021

October, 8, 2007 AT 5:41 PM

Triangular honeycomb from exhaust. HHHMMM, I would check the catalytic converter first! The honeycomb IS the converter bed! You will need to change the muffler converter and the connecting pipes, unless you can clear out the converter bits somehow! And there is still an underlying problem in the ignition/fuel delivery systems that caused this!

Service Writer

October, 8, 2007 AT 7:41 PM

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_P8200023_1.jpg

Merlin is on the money!!!

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_P8200022_1.jpg

New version of the old thing.

Not that I'm surprized!

Service Writer

October, 9, 2007 AT 4:58 AM

Both of us mis read. muffler was replaced.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_muf_1.jpg

I would still be concerned about the over the axle pipe being clogged. I don't know that the exhaust valves haven't been damaged from driving with a plugged converter. Plugged exhaust doen't mean it won't restart. This is already a multiple source problem, it isn't to say there may still be more than one problem remaining.

Here's what I see, the problem is only after it reaches operating temperature. So I don't see a plugged fuel situation, but more of a temp related issue. Thermostatic chokes are an issue on the carbs, especially being an 1985. Those springs get weak and cause this behavior. The cannister filter and fuel filter should have been replaced as normal maintenance, What maintenance has or has not been done will throw a curve into it.

There aren't too many guys out there that can accurately work with a carb from what I have seen...for what it matters.

October, 9, 2007 AT 5:07 AM

Read the original post and base yourself on it what precisely is going on.

. In the morning after work (working nights) the truck will start ( START ) fine. After you get going, and stop at lights or stop at all it will stall. I had the carb and throttle adjusted. This didn't fix the problem.

2. His vehicle is stalling and not running on all cylinders hence the crasy voltage guage. Wont idle due to a plugged carb. Probably from a bad charcoal canister.

3. The honey combs and stuff wont cause this if muffler is plugged the engine will stall and not restart.

Let me know when you're ready the 2 slipped but not this one. When you're ready for 1/2/3 I wonder about the EGR nothing is being mentioned about it only the Carb.

Hence it 22yrs ago

merlin2021

October, 9, 2007 AT 6:27 PM

Rodimus-Prime
Your right about 1 thing the Underlying engine performance problem must be solved, or another converter will go on this vehicle!
I have seen Carbs loosen a wee bit from the intake, try checking the nuts for tightness.

Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet