440 MAGNUM

1976 Dodge

lluckthree9

March, 4, 2009 AT 1:42 AM

1976 Other Dodge Models V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 42000 miles

Answer this before 10 am in morning I will donate, for sure $5.00 for sure mabie more, the engine in motor home its runs good no smoke what would the compression have be on all 8 cylinders to know that the 440 magnum is in good shape, serious need know before 10am tommorow thanks a lot Richard is a 1976 winnebago with 42,000 just as good as a new one iam not sure. Your advise would be greatley appreciate before I donate more than $5.00becasue I want to buy very bad but can't afford to lose.

mmprince4000

March, 4, 2009 AT 7:34 AM

Minumum is 132psi to 145psi. Key is not to have one or more cylinders 20% above or below the rest.

lluckthree9

March, 4, 2009 AT 8:36 AM

This not quote question this 440 doge with 42k has been setting for long time. If runs good and compression tests ok can I expect the engine to last long time or it not good buy same for transmission, some one said things start going bad after set long time. True lase go both ways, thanks for first answer great job

mmprince4000

March, 5, 2009 AT 7:04 AM

There are many varabiles regarding engine life. SInce the engine has been setting a long time, that is an issue. If it has been sitting outside in the elements, that is one consideration (let's call it it strike one).

You would want to change oil and prime the engine with oil through the oil pump, get the oil pressure up to 40psi.

If engine rotates freely and starts does it have good oil pressure? Above 25psi at idle and above 50psi at 3000rpm?

If oil pressure is low at idle and above 3000rpm, then you may have an oil pump, or main bearing/camshaft bearing issue.

If all is good, compression, oil pressure, then it is reasonable to assume it will last a long time if properly maintained.

Find Out How to Test Your Catalytic Converter
Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford F-250
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Pressure Test