ENGINE STALLS

1984 Dodge Omni

imopar

February, 4, 2008 AT 9:50 PM

Engine problem
1984 Dodge Omni 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 36000 miles

After 200 miles the engine starts to cut out and will stop. After a short cool down it will go again for 50 miles, longer if the cool down period is longer. If the engine is cold and you drive 30 miles and shut it off and start back up after 5 min it will surge and then usually drive through it until the 200 mile range. I have changed fuel pump, fuel filter, distributor pick up, coil, cleaned grounds new plugs and wires, left gas cap loose,put foil on fuel lines, took carb apart no charcoal in bowl.I am thinking computer??? it had never been driven on any trip befor just short drives then I decided to take it to Florida and leave it there we spend winters there and don't need it at home it was my dads and don't really want to get rid of it because of this problem, also it is a 1984 Rampage same as omni but they did not list the rampage

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/153511_P1010074_1.jpg

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

Jack42

February, 16, 2008 AT 7:54 AM

Definitly an electrical issue, getting hot and shorting. The ECM might not be a bad place to start, sounds like you have already replaced the usual suspects.