Dodge Neon Ignition key

JOHNREY
  • DODGE NEON

My Dodge Neon (1998) has a problem with the Ignition key. Sometimes it is hard(feels kind of jerkey) to turn it and when it is, it will start but then the brake, light, and a few other lights will be on, and the turn signal will not work. If you then just turn it off and on again, then it will turn easy again, and start normally. This happened a couple of times. Today the car would not start, you can easily turn it to the on position, but not past to start it, all the lights come on and you can start it with a jumper wire at the starter relay. The car runs fine.

Well I thought it must be the mechanical tumblers, but when I removed the whole cylinder, it feels like you can easily turn it, at least to a point, then it stops dead. Well looking to the rim behind where there is a cam that 2 spring loaded pins push on the cam, it look like the key cannot turn all the way to where the marks go, but I don't know if there is something else that needs to happen to unlock it to go further.

My question is, how do I know if it is the tumbler, or the electrical part of the switch that is faulty?

Tuesday, December 19th, 2006 AT 4:24 PM

JOHNREY

It was the ignition key switch that was sticky.

I sprayed some WD-40 into the ignition key hole at some point, and that appeared to have caused the problem, for this also makes dirt get accumulated/stuck in the switch.

So I rinsed it out with alcohol, and then let it dry, then got some key lubricant(graphite from Lowe's), and that solved the stickiness. Still going strong

Sunday, April 11th, 2010 AT 5:07 PM