1995 Dodge Neon



November, 4, 2010 AT 10:12 PM

Electrical problem
1995 Dodge Neon 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

I have a problem with the wires going into my ignition switch. My wife was driving it and smelt a burning smell. Then the car started to lose all power. After tearing the dash all apart I found out that one of the wires going into the ignition switch had melted the plastic coating half way up the harness. I have been looking all over te internet for a wiring diagram and can't seem to find. My Haynes manual does not seem to have it in either. There is eight wires going into the switch.

1 Yellow
2 Blue
3 Black with White stripe
4 Red
5 Black
6 Tan with Black stripe
7 Pink with Black stripe
8 Black with Orange stripe

The one that is burnt up in the Tan with Black stripe. So my question is. What does the Tan with Black wire provide current for? Is it a ground or does it power something else? What is the lable for that wire?


3 Answers



November, 5, 2010 AT 12:10 AM

Hi askviking,

Thank you for the donation.

The wiring color does not match the ones found in our database. I have 2 diagrams here, can you refer to them and let me know which matches up with what based on the location of the terminals?





November, 5, 2010 AT 1:36 AM

Thank you for your help. It helped a ton. I was unsure of the witch pin slot was witch number becuase I could not find a diagram. I looked at both diagrams and was able to figure it out. The wire must have rubbed through and grounded. It was the gray and black wire I was refering to. Just looked tan from getting so hot. Really happy with everything with this web site will use again.

Thank you,




November, 5, 2010 AT 4:29 AM

You're welcome.

Thank you for using 2carpros and have a great day.

Please login or register to post a reply.

Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000