2004 Dodge Neon PIcked car up from mechanic - overheating?

MAGGIEMAY697
  • 2004 DODGE NEON
I picked up my car (2004 Dodge Neon) today from the repair shop. It had the radiator replaced; the mechanic told me it had transmission fluid in it and he had to replace it. It was overheating and the transmission light had come on when I took it in.
I picked it up, drove it home (about 25 miles) and no problems but when I got out of the car I thought I smelled something a little funny, like something burning maybe. I took the car back out for a mayb 5 mile trip and when I pulled in the drive it seemed like there was smoke coming off the engine again and I smelled the smell again. The gage didn't show the car overheating but it may have been just slightly over where it usually is.
I'm freaking out after such a major repair that there may be something wrong again. Is this normal? What should I do? The shop I took it to is closed tomorrow and I am supposed to use the car for a short (45 miles, maybe?) Trip Sunday.
It is very cold here, about 28 degrees. I don't know if that would make the smoke seem more apparent or not.
Thanks!
Friday, January 9th, 2009 AT 9:46 PM

ZACKMAN

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_04neonrad_1.jpg

Did the mechanic tell you where he found the transmission fluid in the radiator? Was it mixed with the antifreeze? If so, how would he know that was transmission fluid. The reason for the concern is that you should have transmission fluid in the radiator. Your automatic transmission relies in the radiator to keep the fluid cool. See red circle. Those are where the transmission hoses connected to the radiator.

If you smelled something that you have never smelled before, I would advise against taking the planned trip until you get in touch with the mechanic.
Saturday, January 10th, 2009 AT 2:39 AM
MAGGIEMAY697
Thank you so much for replying. My cousin came by today to look at the car because when I lifted the hood I noticed a hose that was unhooked and even being a complete novice I knew that was wrong.
It turned out that the mechanic left the radiator hose unhooked and put transmission fluid in where antifreeze was supposed to go! I had the system flushed nearby (didn't want to take it back there) and everything is fine.
Thanks!
Saturday, January 10th, 2009 AT 10:53 AM
ZACKMAN
Glad everything worked out for you.
Saturday, January 10th, 2009 AT 9:10 PM
TITAN03
The red circles you have on this picture, one of the bolts keeps falling out, do I need to replace the whole radiator, or is there an easier way?
Sunday, May 18th, 2014 AT 6:25 PM