SHUT OFF

1998 Dodge Neon

smrf2008

August, 14, 2008 AT 1:34 PM

1998 Dodge Neon 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 90000 miles

My 98 neon shuts off after ten fifteen minutes of driving. It seems as soon as the engine warms up its shuts off. I wait for it to cool down for about fifteen minutes and starts back up again. Then it dies again. I changed the coil pack and it still dies. A mechanic told me that it was the crank position sensor but not sure. I heard that it could also be the auto shut off rela.

poet042005

August, 15, 2008 AT 8:46 AM

Well there is a very good chance that if theres a bad sensor then the check engine lite is on so guess my question is if its on or not and if so have you checked for codes thats where you wanna start.

It does sound like a sensor problem possibly crank, this is a common problem with many cars in general.

Let me know RICH.

smrf2008

August, 16, 2008 AT 2:58 PM

The check engine light went on once but turned off. They put the computer to see if there is something wrong but it showed nothing. Thats why I dont know what is wrong.

poet042005

August, 17, 2008 AT 10:49 PM

Your next step may be to check the feul pressure. I have seen this happen with a feul tank that had trash in it, or a faulty feul pump or pressure regulator

fuel pressure specification is 48 PSI

BMRFIXIT

August, 18, 2008 AT 6:21 AM

Two things I would check
1. Crankshaft sensor
2. ASD relay
good luck

smrf2008

August, 18, 2008 AT 5:55 PM

They replaced the crankshaft sensor and it still dies. Now the machanic says that the ecm is bad. He hasn't checked the fuel pressure but will soon. If the ecm is bad wont the check engine light definetly be on?

BMRFIXIT

August, 18, 2008 AT 9:11 PM

Check fuel pressure for sure
ask them to check also ASD RELAY AND IGNITION SWITCH and its wiring
PCM very rare for it to fail

smrf2008

August, 20, 2008 AT 12:42 AM

Does the ecm control the radiator fan? They don't seem to be working. Would the car shut off if the fans don't turn on? It seems like as soon as the car reaches its normal operating temp thats when it shuts off.

BMRFIXIT

August, 20, 2008 AT 6:23 AM

PCM (ecm)
is the brain all go through it !

Turn AC on check fan
if the car overheating and fan not coming on then it shut off.

U NEED TO CHECK IT AFTER IT SHUT OFF ON U !

Check for fuel and fuel pressure
check for spark
check injector pulse

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet