There seems to be a TSB on the problem you are describing. Does this help you out?
RINGING SOUND COMING FROM PROPELLER SHAFT WHEN TRANSMISSION IS SHIFTED FROM DRIVE TO REVERSE OR REVERSE TO DRIVE
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Reference Number(s): 03-004-07, Date of Issue: December 19, 2007
CHRYSLER: : 2007 (KA) Nitro; 2007 (L2) 300C (China); 2006 - 2007 (LE) 300/300 Touring (International Markets); 2005 - 2007 (LX) 300/Magnum/Charger; 2005 - 2007 (WH) Grand Cherokee (International Markets); 2005 - 2007 (WK) Grand Cherokee; 2006 - 2007 (XH) Commander (International Markets); 2006 - 2007 (XK) Commander
GROUP: : Differential & Driveline
Related Ref Number(s): 03-004-07
Ringing Sound Coming From Propeller Shaft When Transmission Is Shifted From Drive To Reverse Or Reverse To Drive
This bulletin involves replacing transmission output flange on certain vehicles and applying "Stud N Bearing Mount Adhesive" to the transmission output shaft flange splines.
NOTE: This bulletin only applies to RWD vehicles equipped with NAG1 transmission (sales code DGJ).
A ringing, snapping or popping sound may be heard coming from the drive line when the transmission is shifted from forward to reverse or reverse to forward. The sound may also occur when the brakes are released after shifting into or out of Drive or Reverse.
Start the vehicle, apply the park brake and shift the transmission from forward to reverse and back with the brakes applied. If the sound is present, perform the Repair Procedure.
Qty. Part No. Description
1 04318032 Stud N' Bearing Mount Adhesive.
1 52108234AA Nut-Collar Double Hex
1(AR) 05175566AA Output Flange (3.5L)
1(AR) 52108628AB Output Flange (3.7L)
1(AR) 05135158A Output Flange (5.7L)
1(AR) 05170003AB Output Flange (6.1L)
SPECIAL TOOLS/EQUIPMENT REQUIRED
SPECIAL TOOLS/EQUIPMENT INFORMATION
C-3281 Flange Holder
8992 Flange Puller
9078 Staking Tool
C-4171 Drive Handle
CAUTION: Mark the propeller shaft in relation to the transmission and axle flanges prior to removal.
1. Remove propeller shaft: refer to the detailed removal procedures available in DealerCONNECT > TechCONNECT under: Service Info > 3 - DIFFERENTIAL & DRIVELINE > PROPELLER SHAFT > REMOVAL
2. Using Special tools C-3281 and 8992, remove the transmission output shaft nut and remove the flange (Fig. 1).
Fig. 1: Identifying Flange Puller
Courtesy of CHRYSLER
3. Is your vehicle one of the following vehicle/engine configurations?
A. Yes: Proceed to Step #4.
B. No: Proceed to Step #5
o 2005 LX 5.7L built prior to August 18, 2004?
O 2005 LX 6.1L or WK 3.7L built prior to June 22, 2005?
O 2006 LX 3.5L built prior to June 22, 2005?
4. Replace output flange with corresponding part number in Parts Table above.
5. Clean the splines on the output shaft and the output flange and apply a thin coating of MOPAR Stud N' Bearing Mount Adhesive, p/n 04318031 or equivalent, to the splines of the output flange.
6. Install the flange and tighten the nut to 200 Nm (150 ft. Lbs.).
7. Stake the nut using 9078 staking tool and C-4171 drive handle.
8. Install propeller shaft: refer to the detailed installation procedures available in DealerCONNECT > TechCONNECT under: Service Info > 3 - DIFFERENTIAL & DRIVELINE > PROPELLER SHAFT > INSTALLATION.
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
Labor Operation No: Description Amount
21-15-02-90 Replace Transmission Flange On Certain Vehicles And Apply Adhesive To Transmission Flange LX/LE/L2 1.3 Hrs.
KA/WK/WH/XK/XH 0.6 Hrs.
Tuesday, January 20th, 2009 AT 7:24 PM