1994 Dodge Intrepid Stalling when I turn to the "far's

GSD_GUY
  • 1994 DODGE INTREPID
1994 Dodge Intrepid Front Wheel Drive Automatic

i have a 1994 DODGE INTREPID ES
SEDAN 4 DR
3.5L V6 SFI SOHC 24V
FRONT WHEEL DRIVE
My problem is when I start the car, and leave it sit it will idle fine and as soon as I turn my when to the far left and or far right, sometimes not even the far's my curse light comes on and my car stalls. This sort of stall is not a sputter stall it is short and to the point! Straight off. I'm thinking it might be an electrical issue ir even the fuel pump. Before I go in to a project I wanted to ask around. And where better to go? I have herd some real good things about this site so im going to start here! Thanks for the help!
Rob
Tuesday, August 10th, 2010 AT 1:58 PM

MERLIN2021
Is your check engine light on? If yes turn the key from off to on three times, on the fourth one leave it in the on position, count the flasshes.22 would flash as 2 blinks, then a short puase, then 2 more blinks. If several codes are stored, the pause is longer between codes, code 55 will be the last code. Do this and post all codes found.
Any loud squealing?
Tuesday, August 10th, 2010 AT 2:58 PM
GSD_GUY
Nope, The light WAS on but I literally just changed the oil so it is now out. All fuses are good and checked and like I said before, the only lights that come on is the green cruse light fallowed by the abrupt stall. No coughing or squealing.
Tuesday, August 10th, 2010 AT 4:08 PM
MERLIN2021
You may need to crawl under it, look at the steering rack and see if any wires are in the way(rubbing). This sounds like some kind of contact short. Speedo working OK? Also give this test a try and if any codes flash write them down and post please. 55 is normal and will be the last code displayed.
Tuesday, August 10th, 2010 AT 4:35 PM
MERLIN2021
55 is normal and indicates the last code, 12 is battery disconnected in last 50 starts, look under the dash, pay attention near the steering column, it looks like and sounds like a wire rubbing on the column, or the ignition switch may have a problem, loose connection possibly. I am not talking about the key, but the plastic piece the harness plugs into.
Tuesday, August 10th, 2010 AT 5:43 PM
GSD_GUY
I Will add that I recently added a bottle of lucas oil injector cleaner to the fuel. Like I said in the video, when I turned to the left it used to stall out, now it is only when I turn to the right. I checked over the wiring on the inside of the car, I have to crawl up under and see if there are any exposed wires. Im only looking for moving parts that would cause the short right?
Tuesday, August 10th, 2010 AT 6:34 PM
MERLIN2021
OK, also get under the dash and check below. Instead of turning the wheel, wiggle some wires, when you tug the right one it should stall, then trace that wire and check it, and it's connector. Pull connector apart and inspect for bent pins or pushed out pins.
Wednesday, August 11th, 2010 AT 2:29 AM
GSD_GUY
Ok, I will do that later today and post an update, I hope it works! Thank you for the help!
Wednesday, August 11th, 2010 AT 3:14 AM
MERLIN2021
Will be here!
Wednesday, August 11th, 2010 AT 12:44 PM
GSD_GUY
I moved and tugged on all the wires under the dash and under the car- hood. Nothing stalls out. I will add that when I turn I hear the power stearing stress out then it stalls. But again no wires.
Wednesday, August 11th, 2010 AT 1:59 PM
MERLIN2021
First, when turning the wheel, you should NOT hold it against the stop in either direction, this stresses the pump and all seals, so release it a bit at the far stops. Next make sure nothing is being rubbed under the car while turning the wheel. If you release the wheel at the end stops, will it stall or not?
Wednesday, August 11th, 2010 AT 3:33 PM
GSD_GUY
When I turn it almost grabs the wheel and then stalls, but my neighbor came over and mentioned something about a cable going to my strut that might have something to do with the problem. He put air in the tires (44psi) and drove it up and down the street a few times, after I told him there were no brakes he reversed over a curb going about 25 mph and destroyed my tire drivers back to be exact, he fixed the bumper(snapped in just that easy) then filled up the antifreze and it is not as bad now. It takes a lot to make it stall now, what ever it is the issue is beginning to be resolved.
Wednesday, August 11th, 2010 AT 3:58 PM
MERLIN2021
OK, so it sounds like a wire was being rubbed by the strut? And now you have lost your brakes? 35 psi should be the Max on the tires.
Thursday, August 12th, 2010 AT 12:48 PM