1994 Dodge Intrepid Intermittent Stalling

STHISSEN
  • 1994 DODGE INTREPID
I have 94 Intrepid. It has an intermittent problem where it stalls / shuts off without ryme or reason. It happens both at freeway and low speeds. There is no consistency to when it happens. It could happen after a couple of miles, after 100 plus, or not at all for days. When it does happen, after coasting to a stop I turn the key off wait a minute or so and the car will start back up. Sometimes it "Chugs" on start-up other times it starts as normal. The problem may or may not re-occur during the trip. There are no codes thrown, to date I have replaced the coil pack, and fuel pump assembly. Do you have any suggestions before I spend a ton of money on a new computer? What other components are involved in the ignition circuit between the coil pack and computer.

Thanks in advance,
Scott
Wednesday, January 20th, 2010 AT 3:01 PM

ERNEST CLARK
It's never a good idea to hunt for a problem by replacing parts and hoping to hit the jack pot. It never works and only costs you a ton of money you might as well have just spent on a mechanic.

Now, when's the last time you changed spark plugs/wires, and your fuel/air filters? If it's been way past the recommended service intervals, begin with this. Because it's hard to get accurate testing results for an engine not in proper tune.

Also, when you replaced the fuel pump, did you replace the filter also? And what about checking for water/debris in the fuel system?

As for you ignition, if your car is running, there's nothing you need to worry about between the computer and coil pack. And finally, if your car is only stalling once in awhile, and there's no codes, your computer is probably fine.
Saturday, January 23rd, 2010 AT 9:03 AM
STHISSEN
Thanks for the reply Ernest. The car has been the mechanic several times and they weren't able to duplicate the problem. Each time we'd pick the car up the problem would occur. The fuel pump / filter was replaced at the mechanics suggestion because of "strange / inconsistent" readings from his test. The fuel tank has been cleaned / dried / and had fresh gas in it. Plugs and wires were done mid last year. After researching the issue online i've found that several people have had the same problem and its turned out to be the coil pack, crank position sensor, cam position sensor, ignition switch or computer. I've replaced all but the ignition switch and computer and the problem still exists. The only real incosistency I can find is the reference voltage for the Cam Position Sensor coming from the computer. My manual says both it and the crank sensor should have a reference voltage of 8 vdc. My cam sensor only has 3.9 vdc.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Scott
Monday, January 25th, 2010 AT 8:18 AM
ERNEST CLARK
Yes, your computer should definitely send out a reference voltage. I don't have ready access to what your voltage should be (There's a min-max range), but if your says 8V, then 3.9 is certainly waaay out of range. (Most computers send out a reference voltage of 5V)

But keep in mind, this is most often a bad connection at the sensor or corroded wires in your wiring harness. (The factory recommends thoroughly cleaning the sensor face and connectors when installing a crank/cam sensor)

The computers are usually the last in the line to go bad. So have your mechanic use his lab-scope or multi-meter to trace your complete circuit and check the sensors face for dirt, etc. Before suspecting the computer.

Certified Technicians are trained to start with the simple and move to the complicated. Because it saves the customer time and money.
Monday, January 25th, 2010 AT 9:00 AM
STHISSEN
Since I've replaced the sensors I know the face and connections are clean / good at that end. I was surprised that it called for an 8v reference too. I'm used to most things having a 3-5v range. I couldn't find anything in the book that gave a +/- ranged from the 8. Since I'm a trained Harley Tech, i'm pulling out my meter and back tracing the wiring and connections hoping to find the issue. Since the car has been in and out of the shop and they cant find it i'm gonna take it on. Thats a little easier than paying them 90.00 an hour for troubleshooting hoping they find something.

Scott
Monday, January 25th, 2010 AT 9:09 AM