CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ERROR CODES - NEED HE

2000 Dodge Durango

pooh1623

March, 24, 2010 AT 2:52 PM

2000 Dodge Durango V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 110000 miles

Hi, I just had my transmission replaced just over a month a go and now, all of a sudden, my check engine light went on. Ever since I got the truck back it just seemed to be lagging, however the other day when the light came on my truck died on me several times upon stopping at a light. My husband and I checked the transmissin fluid and oil and saw that we needed to add some oil. It did stop dying and the light went out shortly after, but the truck was still driving rough. The next day the light came back on, so I took it to an auto parts store where they checked the codes and it came back as having 3 errors, a P0132, P0135, and P0138. My questions are can I fix these on my own (I know nothing about fixing vehicles), how do I fix them, and what will happen if I don't fix them right away? I reallly do not want any damage to my truck as this is the only vehicle I have and literally have no money. Thank you!

caradiodoc

March, 28, 2010 AT 1:42 AM

All three codes are related to the 12 volt supply to the oxygen sensor heater is shorted to the sensor element. Check for wires to the oxygen sensors laying on hot exhaust parts and melted together. Also look for corrosion between multiple pins in the electrical connectors for the sensors. If the wiring is ok, suspect a defective oxygen sensor. I was surprised to see the codes don't specifiy which O2 sensor has the problem. A mechanic with a hand-held computer, called a scanner, can read the sensor values to determine which one is wrong.

The circuit that feeds the O2 sensor heaters also feeds the injectors and ignition coil. Depending on what is causing the problem, if that circuit becomes shorted to ground, it will blow a fuse and the engine will stop running. If the problem is only due to a shorted O2 sensor, at the very least if will adversely affect fuel mileage and tail pipe emissions.