2007 Dodge Dakota

THECARPENTER62
  • 2007 DODGE DAKOTA
A month and a half ago the passenger side tie rod broke so I replaced both sides myself as a precaution. Now I'm getting a clunking sound in the front end when I turn corners plus a rattling whenever I hit a bump. So far I haven't located the source. I'm wondering if it might be a ball joint or something with the steering?
Friday, October 15th, 2010 AT 12:46 PM

FACTORYJACK
What led to the tie rod breaking, and does the other noise appear to be on the same side? You can check for loose/worn components by lifting each side under the lower control arm, and grasping the wheel at 12 and 6 and rocking, as well as 9 and 3 and rocking. With the rattling, it could be sway bar related. You can isolate that from being a cause by disconnecting the links at the control arms and roadtesting the vehicle.
Friday, October 15th, 2010 AT 1:26 PM
THECARPENTER62
Thanks for the quick response. The tie rod just separated when I turned a corner, it looked like the boot had split prior to it failing because the grease was dry and hard. The clunking seems to be coming from the passenger side but only after rounding a corner. I tried the 12/6 and 9/3 rocking but both sides are tight with no noticeable movement. If the sway bar is causing the rattling then thats not too serious. The passenger side linkage does look worn. I had the rattling before the tie rod broke. I changed the tie rods myself but never got an alignment if that means anything. I did position them the same measurement as the old ones. Thanks Paul
Friday, October 15th, 2010 AT 1:50 PM
FACTORYJACK
No, the alignment should have no bearing on correcting/causing a noise like you describe. When you checked the wheels for play, were you supporting under the lower control arm? The reason I ask, is with the suspension hanging unsprung, play in the ball joints may be masked by the downward force applied by the spring. Basically, what you are trying to replicate, is the suspension at a position as it would be with the wheels on the ground, but having the wheel suspended.
Saturday, October 16th, 2010 AT 1:35 AM
THECARPENTER62
Yes, I did support under the lower control arm. I even used a crow bar between the raised tire and the ground to force some movement. The ball joints don't appear to be the problem. Something else is either slipping or popping out of place and then back making the clunking noise. Only AFTER turning a corner does this happen. Thanks Paul
Saturday, October 16th, 2010 AT 10:11 AM
FACTORYJACK
Is this pop or clunk a one time event after turning, and does it do it both right and lef turns? Can it be replicated when turning th wheels while stationary, or does it have to be in motion. I am just suggesting possibilities, but if it is a solid clunk like vehicle weight is playing a part, it could lie in the upper, or lower control arms/bushings, or something influenced by the torque/twist of the frame. Does it perhaps have a skid plate attached to the underside? Sometimes loosening or removing it may make a change, especially if it is a metal plate.
Saturday, October 16th, 2010 AT 2:07 PM
THECARPENTER62
Dude. Thanks for the help but I think I found the culprit. After the last message from you I went back out to check again. The sway bar linkage connection to the lower control arm was separated. When I mentioned earlier that the linkage looked worn I had noticed then that the boot appeared damaged. The linkage must be popping on and off the ball as I turn corners causing the clunking. The rattling is this also I'm sure. After a short drive the linkage was back on top of the ball, making it seem it is still connected. When the tie rod had broke before the action of the tire swinging sideways must have damaged the linkage. It just took until now for it to fail. Does that all make any sense or am I just full of it. Keep the donation anyway and thanks for your time. Paul
Saturday, October 16th, 2010 AT 3:13 PM
FACTORYJACK
Thanks for the participation.
Wednesday, October 20th, 2010 AT 11:49 PM