2001 DODGE DAKOTA FRONT BRAKES LOCK-UP

• Charles Gunn
  • 2001 Dodge Dakota

Brakes problem
2001 Dodge Dakota V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 65,000 miles

The front brakes lock up sometimes while driving. The right front got so hot it nearly caught on fire. What can cause this and what do I repair to fix the problem

Friday, October 23rd, 2009 AT 10:15 PM

• mhpautos

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

You will need to do a few tests first to try and diagnose why this is happening, first, go for a drive and get the brakes hot, try and get them to the point that they are dragging, as they will be very hot, take care as you will need to then crack the bleeder and see if it is residual brake line pressure holding on the brakes, if so you may have faulty front brake hoses as they can deteriorate internally and close off like a valve and retain pressure, this more so if excess pressure is uneven at the front brakes, if there is no excess pressure I would be having the calipers overhauled as they may be binging up, this is a fairly common problem.

Saturday, October 24th, 2009 AT 1:59 AM