2000 Dodge Dakota power steering problem

MCHARD
  • 2000 DODGE DAKOTA
My 4x4 Dakota power steering has become stiff when turning left and right under 50mph. It turns hard for about 1/4 turn then it goes normal and the same thing going back straight. I am going to replace the main belt, because it has been a long time. All the fluids are normal and there doesn't seem to be any leaks.

Any help is appreciated.

Marty
Tuesday, April 7th, 2009 AT 6:08 PM

JAMES W.
Marty, does it make any difference when the steering fluid warm or cold? If you turn the steering wheel all the way and "hard" to one side, can you hear the pump bypass? Please advise.
+2
Wednesday, April 8th, 2009 AT 10:09 PM
MCHARD
Hi james

Thanks for the reply. I can hear the "whining" sound when I turn the steering wheel like the pump is working. When the wheel is all the way to one side I can hear the system laboring. When I turn the steering wheel it is an odd feeling. It isn't really really stiff like an old car w/o PS, but it is an alternating stiffness that comes and goes while turning the wheel.
Hope this helps.
Wednesday, April 8th, 2009 AT 10:44 PM
JAMES W.
Sounds like you need a new rack. If you change the rack, be sure you flush the PS system as best you can. You don't want to carry the aluminum sediment to a new rack.
Thursday, April 9th, 2009 AT 12:00 PM
MCHARD
The entire steering rack system should be replaced? Is there anything else that should be replaced while I am doing the work. Is this difficult to do, or should I hire someone to do it?
Thanks again.
Thursday, April 9th, 2009 AT 12:08 PM
JAMES W.
Yes, the rack comes, either new or rebuilt, as an assembly. It's not a hard replacement, but it takes some time. It can usually be done with basic hand tools. BUT, after you replace the rack, if you do it yourself, you'll need to get the front end aligned to make sure everything is square to the world.
Thursday, April 9th, 2009 AT 12:29 PM
MCHARD
Thanks for the help James. I will pick up a new rack tonight and tackle this job first thing in the morning. I will let you know how it goes.

Have a good Easter.
Thursday, April 9th, 2009 AT 2:25 PM
JAMES W.
Thanks guy, HE to you. Once you have the new rack laying on the floor you'll better know how the old one comes out. Just don't forget about the alignment or it may eat your tires up.
Thursday, April 9th, 2009 AT 3:56 PM
KARENCAREN
Can I ask how hard is to replace tha rack? My friend have this problem before but he let a mechanic do the job.
Tuesday, April 21st, 2009 AT 7:56 PM
JAMES W.
It's not a "hard" job, it's just kinda' close quarters. Once you get the old one out, the new one is a piece 'a cake. The only thing I need to warn you about is be sure you have your alignment checked afterwards. You can get it close, but it will eat tires if it's not dead on.
I'm a Dodge man.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248092_1967_Dodge_RT_6.jpg

Wednesday, April 22nd, 2009 AT 12:10 AM