2006 Dodge Dakota intermittent hard steering

JOE GRINDER
  • 2006 DODGE DAKOTA
I have read several complaints of hard steering on Dakota PU trks in the 2003-2006 range. Many have changed some or all steering components but still witness hard steering, especially when clod weather is a factor.
My question; Has anyone come up with a sure- fire solution for this problem? Has anyone contacted Chrysler Corp. Over this situation?
I have read over 50 complaints online about this problem.
Wednesday, November 19th, 2014 AT 6:30 PM

What has been replaced?
+1
Wednesday, November 19th, 2014 AT 8:31 PM
JOE GRINDER
Nothing has been replaced yet to alleviate this problem. (Yrs ago replaced one tie rod end) This just started and I wanted to go at it with some direction rather than just start changing parts at random. Joe Grinder
-1
Thursday, November 20th, 2014 AT 5:12 AM
JOHNNYT73
Hello, I currently own a 2003 Dakota 4.7 with 151k miles. I myself have not experienced this in my truck, but I am willing to bet that it is your intermediate shaft in the steering column. Try to spray the u-joint on the shaft at the connection before the rack with some WD-40 and see if the steering improves. Typically when its cold outside it will feel even worse with this issue.
+3
Thursday, November 20th, 2014 AT 5:25 AM
JOE GRINDER
Juiced up ujoint at top & bottom of intermediate shaft w/WD-40. Tried to pull back the rubber seals and soak it good. Can't really tell if it helped while frt end is up off the ground. Seems easier but no resistance so gotta wait.
Not going out tonight cuz we got dumped with 5 inches of snow. ( A little north of Det.) Let you know when I get a few miles on it, after the weekend.
JG
+1
Thursday, November 20th, 2014 AT 3:46 PM
JOHNNYT73
While you have it off the ground. You can disconnect the outer tie-rods from the steering knuckles and just move the spindle back and forth to check and see if it is the ball joints are binding up. Just to rule one more thing out.
Thursday, November 20th, 2014 AT 4:35 PM
JOE GRINDER
Thanx, I'm on it. JG
Thursday, November 20th, 2014 AT 4:58 PM
JOE GRINDER
I soaked upper & lower steering ujoint w/WD-40 & Liquid Wrench. Rotated wheel from stop to stop several times. Let it set overnight. Next day I removed upper ujoint and moved shaft as far as posible in all directions. Seemed smooth so I reassembled it and left it set outside overnight. Next two days I drove all over and the problem of rough steering is totally gone. Truck drives better than new. Real cheap repair and so far -so good. Thanx. Joe
+2
Sunday, November 23rd, 2014 AT 5:25 PM
JOHNNYT73
Awesome! That's good to hear. Hopefully it won't come back for a while. If it does then you will just need to replace the joint.
+2
Sunday, November 23rd, 2014 AT 5:32 PM