No Bus Error

RICKSELF
  • 2000 DODGE DAKOTA
Computer problem 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 94500 miles

My 2000 Dodge Dakota 4 cyl recently died. All the gauges went to ZERO while driving. The odometer reads "no bus error". The engine icon lights up and after maybe 10 seconds, the gas icon (service station pump) lights up, like a low gas tank warning. The engine cranks strong, just no spark or gas. Everything I read said to replace the ECM. So $300 later, I install the remanufactured ECM, reconnect the battery, turn the key. No Bus Error. Any help at all? I have visually inspected all the fuses but don't know how to test the relays. It looks like this weekend I'll be checking all the fuses with a tester.
Friday, April 24th, 2009 AT 5:50 AM

BMRFIXIT
No bus = no communication (PCM BCM & TCM off line )
you can mark and switch relays around (not likely the problem )
have to get the wiring diagram and check harness
does the PCM communicate with the scanner?
-2
Friday, April 24th, 2009 AT 6:01 AM
RICKSELF
Thanks for quick response. I used to be able to stand in the engine compartment and work on engines back when. I have no scanner to check with or what that involves.
Friday, April 24th, 2009 AT 6:12 AM
BMRFIXIT
Aaah good old days
know you can not fit a small hand in
scanner may and may not help your situation I would be looking at wiring and making sure the PCM have all power and ground needed disconnect PCM and inspect the wiring connector and plugs
-1
Friday, April 24th, 2009 AT 6:43 AM
RICKSELF
My next idea was to pull the instrument cluster and clean up any contacts, as well as getting a hold of a light tester and checking my fuses. When the odometer blinks several times and then the no bus error shows up, an engine icon also lights up, followed in about 10 seconds by a low fuel icon. Should the fuel icon lighting up direct me somewhere?
Friday, April 24th, 2009 AT 7:10 AM
BMRFIXIT
Always check fuses 1st
cluster?
Check harness and power for the PCM
Friday, April 24th, 2009 AT 4:14 PM
RICKSELF
I was going to check the connections on the back of the instrument panel.
How can I tell if the ECM is getting power?
Friday, April 24th, 2009 AT 4:39 PM
BMRFIXIT
Check your email
i just sent u wiring diagram for the PCM
let me know
Friday, April 24th, 2009 AT 8:11 PM
RICKSELF
Ok, thank you. I got the diagrams.
My first question - what the heck am I looking at? ;8-/
Sorry, I'm not electrically inclined!

Where I'm seeing a reference to a fuse, that means there is a fuse at that spot? So there could be fuses besides by the battery and inside at the drivers end of the dash?

I've checked all the fuses in those 2 places. I could not get the 2 for the airbags out - had a different type of clip and I didn't want to force them and have the air bags blow up!

On the diagram, for instance, The Power Distribution Center shows a 20A and a 30A fuse. Is that someplace I should look for fuses also?

And I don't think there's a way I can check the control relays, is there? I have a fuse tester and a circuit tester.

Thanks so much for your help!
Friday, April 24th, 2009 AT 8:57 PM
BMRFIXIT
Now we have a problem
can not read the wiring schematic
as for the relay just mark it and switch it with similar one
use a test light to check for power at both sides of the fuse
and no need to remove fuse
at the PCM unplug it and check wire where it say power also use a test light and or voltmeter
Friday, April 24th, 2009 AT 9:58 PM
RICKSELF
I can kind of make my way around it, I'm just not an electrician. But I do have a friend that can read those. I'll check back in the morning. And I will check the wiring around the control module. There are 3 major plugs that go into it and I'll check those plugs.

Thanks again.
Friday, April 24th, 2009 AT 10:25 PM
MOBYONE
RICK, I know this thread is really old but what ended up being the issue? I'm having the same problem.
Tuesday, March 6th, 2018 AT 9:31 AM