2000 Dodge Dakota need help please

HELENJAY
  • 2000 DODGE DAKOTA
  • AWD
I have a 2000 dodge dakota awd 4.7litre
once in a blue moon it decides to just die. You dont know it dies till you go.
it wont start until you lrt it cool down for at least 10min.I tried new batt, there is new alt, plugs wires . When it dies it gave me a code as. NO BUS ? If anyone could help give an idea that would be greatly appreciated

thank you all
Saturday, October 9th, 2010 AT 4:47 PM

The no bus means there is a loss of communication between the computer and its components. Check the wiring harness to the PCM and make sure it is tight, and not corroded. Also, check wiring for any damage.

Let me know what you find.

Saturday, October 9th, 2010 AT 11:00 PM
HELENJAY
Ok I followed the harness pulled every plug and blew them out. It all looked good to me. Then I found the computer by the air filter . I pulled the 3 plugs off one at a time. The one has oil in it? I think that may be the problem? Its like gear oil is it supppose to be in there? Abd how on earth would it get in there? Its a computer with wires? Im so confused now

thanks for yor help
jason
Sunday, October 10th, 2010 AT 5:06 PM
It is most likely a grease to help maintain electrical connection. Has there been any change?
Monday, October 11th, 2010 AT 8:14 AM
HELENJAY
Ok well I went threw all wiring. It does not die all the time. Just once in awhile. It starts runs fine just once in awhile it will turn off, no warning or nuttin just dead. When it dies I turn the key off and try to start it. It will turn over and over but no fire. If I leave it for bout 10min and let it cool down it will start and I can go again. I was told maybe it could be my clusters in dash? Im no mechanic and after this truck never be one lol.
I greatly appriciate your help and thoughts

but I went 3 weeks without it dying. Went on a 5 hour trip and it ran fine . Im lost
Monday, October 11th, 2010 AT 3:02 PM
There is a good chance that when you were moving wires and disconnecting and reconnecting them, you fixed a bad connection. If it starts up again, let me know. We'll figure it out one way or another.

Tuesday, October 12th, 2010 AT 7:14 AM
HELENJAY
Good day joe. I thought I fixed it too. I let it run for bout half an hour in the drive way yesterday, then it just shut off. Bit it restarted right away.I didnt even turn key off. So now I think maybe fuel pump over heating? Something is getting to hot and shutting it down? I have 6 relays that are smokin hot while the others are cold?

I really appriciate your help

thanks jason
Tuesday, October 12th, 2010 AT 7:36 AM
Which relays are hot?
Tuesday, October 12th, 2010 AT 7:40 AM
HELENJAY
Ok its the 6 on the left of relay box.
Auto shut down
a/c clutch
trailer relay
fuel pump relay
headlamp relay
trans relay

then there are 2 missing under them
thet are suppose to be o2 sensors front and rear
Tuesday, October 12th, 2010 AT 7:52 AM
Try replacing the fuel pump relay to see if that takes care of the problem.
Tuesday, October 12th, 2010 AT 9:02 AM
HELENJAY
Hey joe. Ok I replaced the fuel pump relay ran it for 20min they never got hot. Woo hoo. Im going to take it for drive later this evening when traffic dies and see what happens. But so far idling it ran

i will give you up date tom

thanks joe very much I hope we got it
Tuesday, October 12th, 2010 AT 3:00 PM
HELENJAY
Hey joe. Well that is not fixed at all. Barely out my drive way and it was dead. 10min cool down. Then started again went for half hour dead again. Half hour cool down that time then started again. Brought home and wont start now.

Everytime its died it has said "no bus" code again

im ready to give up
Tuesday, October 12th, 2010 AT 7:12 PM
The no bus is indicating there is no communication between the computer and its components. There has to be a wiring issue between the two. I'm wondering if the fuel pump is bad and drawing too many amps. That could be why the relay is overheating. God, this would be so much easier if I was there to help.
Wednesday, October 13th, 2010 AT 6:33 AM
HELENJAY
Hello joe

so I dropped my fuel tank today to look at pump.
After it was done there was 2 wires unplugged the main power wires. The othere 2 are bare wires fuel tank is fukk of dirt, and the filter on bottom of pump is dirty as hell. So im oredering one now monday so I think that maybe the problem
after I get back in I will let you know how it works or what.

I have appreciated all the help and ideas so far.
Jason
Friday, October 15th, 2010 AT 7:07 PM
That sounds like the problem. Let me know how everything works out for you.

Friday, October 15th, 2010 AT 7:42 PM
HELENJAY
Hey joe
is it better just try and figure which wire goes where on here before I get a new one? Or should I just order a new one?

Colors that are unplugged are black and orange the2 in the middle plugged in ar black/green strip and pink/black strip
Saturday, October 16th, 2010 AT 11:28 AM
I just tried to find a wiring schematic and found every wire in the vehicle except the pump. Are the wires that are disconnected the same as the ones on the pump?
Saturday, October 16th, 2010 AT 10:16 PM
HELENJAY
Well my friend joe.

I got this truck runing last night I went 4 hours to get a pump lol. Anyway so far so good. Ran it last night ent for half hour drive. This am I went fir a hour drive, washed it and it still running woo hoo

i got little more power too of the line, I like that
its idling better and the relays are cool.

As I said before I really appriciated the help the answers and ideas, I sure hope we got it.
As I get out of my finacial situation here I will send you some money for all your time and thoughts.
I will stay in touch if I have any more trouble but I think we got it

thanks again joe and ttyl

jason
Sunday, October 17th, 2010 AT 10:41 AM
Jason:
I'm glad it worked for you. Thank you for the positive feedback too. It makes me feel good when I'm able to help good people. You take care of yourself and let us know if you have questions in the future.

Take care,
Sunday, October 17th, 2010 AT 11:44 AM