2000 Dodge Dakota Engine Swap

JADENEBALSTER
  • 2000 DODGE DAKOTA
I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota Sport with a 4.7 liter engine that is wrecked. I have found a 2004-2006 VIN "M" engine. I was wondering if that engine will work in my pick-up.
Monday, June 21st, 2010 AT 11:05 PM

We always recommend using direct fit parts because when you change things, problems always show up. If the engine is a 4.7L, it will bolt up for you. However, you will most likely need to chance the injectors, sensors. It can turn into a headach really fast.
Wednesday, June 23rd, 2010 AT 10:39 PM
JADENEBALSTER
Thank you very much. I had a pretty good idea that it would not work very easily but I thought it wouldnt hurt to get a second opinion. Do you, by any chance, know where I can get a good 2000 Dodge 4.7L engine at a reasonably decent price?
Wednesday, June 23rd, 2010 AT 11:13 PM
I wish I could help with that, but I'm near Pittsburgh, PA. Honestly, if you plan to keep the truck for a long time, check some of the nationally recognized parts stores. Most of them sell rebuilt engines at good prices and they come with a good warranty.

The engine you can get (the newer one) will bolt in. However, you will need to switch the sensors with yours, the injection may need changed and vacuum trees / locations may need rerouted. I hate to say, "It won't work, " but it will take a little extra time to switch things, and sometimes I have run into engines that don't even have a place to screw in a sensor that was on the original engine.

If you take your time and really inspect both, side by side, it may not be a hard switch. However, it is the policy of 2carpros not to advise anything other than a direct fit just in case there are differences that will lead to bigger problems.

If you live in PA (I realize the chances are slim) let me know. I have a friend who owns two salvage yards. Infact, I plan to visit him tomorrow AM. If you want, I will ask if the two will change with little trouble.

Let me know.
Wednesday, June 23rd, 2010 AT 11:27 PM
JADENEBALSTER
Actually, if you wouldnt mind asking him, that would be great! I have a brother who is a mechanic and can do it and get any thing we need, I just needed to know if it is possible, but I dont know if I plan to do that. Thanks you for your information too! It has been very helpful! Just get back to me if you find anything out.
Thanks!
Thursday, June 24th, 2010 AT 12:05 AM
I will check for you. Right after work, I have to go to another *& % graduation party, so it may be later in the evening until I can reply.

When I graduated, it was expected. Now I'm going broke handing out money to kids who did only what was expected of them. I guess I'm getting old.
Thursday, June 24th, 2010 AT 12:11 AM
JADENEBALSTER
Hahahahahaha. Anyway, that would be great! :) When ever you can find the time for it.
Thank you so much!
Thursday, June 24th, 2010 AT 10:26 AM
Don't get it. There must be a difference. THe only ones they recommend are a 99 / 2000 switch. From 04 to 06 will not work. He told me it deals with sensor changes. Stay away from it.

I wish I had better news, but they have a cross reference program on their computer and that is what it showed. However, if you can find a 4.7 from a 2000 Durango or Jeep Gr. Cherokee, he said they will work.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Friday, June 25th, 2010 AT 12:30 AM
JADENEBALSTER
Ok, thank you very much. I knew a lot of changes would have had to be done, I just wanted a second thought on it. Thanks you for all the information!
Friday, June 25th, 2010 AT 12:56 AM
Glad to help. Let us know if you have questions in the future.

Saturday, June 26th, 2010 AT 1:50 AM