1998 Dodge Dakota CODE P0443

TEDKILROY
  • 1998 DODGE DAKOTA
1998 Dodge Dakota 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 140K+ miles

Could someone please give me a hand, bought a 98 dakota a few months back and now I am having mechanical problems with it. V6 stnd and in a ll gears it will lose power and backfire when it wants, just tuned it up plugs/wires.
Took it to AutoZone and had "check engine light" scanned and it came up with code P0443 which almost everywhere online says P0443 EVAP Canister Purge Control Solenoid.
I bought a purge control solenoid from AutoZone and installed it myself, but still having same problem and the check engine light stayed on. Placed a little soap and water on 2 rubber hoses that connect to solenoid as far down as I could, but could not detect any leaks.
Any suggestions?
Tuesday, August 5th, 2008 AT 9:36 PM

OBXAUTOMEDIC

The code you had pulled is listed below.

P0433 Heated Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold

The back firing usually indicates a timing problem. Check the timing.
-1
Tuesday, August 5th, 2008 AT 9:55 PM
TEDKILROY
Made a mistake the code is P0443, please suggest a remedy, thanks.
-1
Tuesday, August 5th, 2008 AT 10:57 PM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
Sorry for delay was out of town.

Did you hook up a scanner and clear the code?

Have you checked the vacuum lines?
Thursday, August 7th, 2008 AT 4:16 PM
TEDKILROY
Well, no I have not cleared the code since the problem still exist. I followed the 2 hoses that come out of the Purge Control Solenoid, one goes to the TBI and the other under the hood. It is this one that I followed and notice it goes from a 5/8" rubber hose to a smaller diameter more plastic hose all the way to some sort of box the size of the catalytic convertor.

It has a plastic sheathing cover to it so I coulod not locate a tear in the hose. Called Autozone and was told they only carry "rubber" hose and not aware of a plastic smaller diameter hose.
Thursday, August 7th, 2008 AT 9:42 PM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
Ok,

Have codes rechecked for any new codes then clear them.

Here are the Vacuum Diagrams one for California Emissions and the other of course for all others...

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/188069_98dakotavacdiagrmCalifornia_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/188069_98dakotavacdiagrmnotCalifornia_1.jpg

-1
Friday, August 8th, 2008 AT 3:56 PM