WHEELS AND BRAKE SHAKE

1994 Dodge Colt

Oneshotted

April, 26, 2008 AT 9:13 PM

Shakes or Wobbles problem
1994 Dodge Colt 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 85000 miles

Hi, I have 2 different problems. I just bought some new aluminium mags for my car. They balanced them before installing. Now, when I go faster than 110km/h, I can feel a little shaking in the sterring wheel, that amplify if I go faster. My wheels have been balanced again and the problem will persist.

The second problem is when I push the brakes, the brake pedal will shake and this is very annoying. The brakes are new front and rear. Front are disk, and rear are drums, only the drums are not new. The brakes inside are.

Buzzsaw

April, 26, 2008 AT 10:06 PM

First prob: the wheels are not ballanced right or your tie rods are bad. If it didnt do it before the wheels need to be balanced somewhere other than where your taking it

second prob: did you just put pads on it or do a full brake job with rotors being turned, sounds like the rotors or drums are warped

Oneshotted

April, 26, 2008 AT 10:58 PM

Thanks a lot for the answer.

For the wheels, I suspect those mechanics to make a bad balancing job. They did not installed a centering ring with the mags, can this be a cause to the shaking at high speed?

For the brakes I just changed pads, I don't know if they turned rotors or changed them but I don't think so. The drums are rusty so they never changed them.

Buzzsaw

April, 27, 2008 AT 1:56 AM

I personally never turn the drums they can warp but it is unlikely, I just go over them with sand paper, as for the rotors there probally too thin to turn if there warped

for the wheels they just could have static balanced them its not a true balance depending on your wheels

Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Mini Cooper
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement Ford
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement Ford Explorer
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear