NEED HELP REPLACING REAR BRAKES

Dodge Caravan

foxyb3b

June, 5, 2006 AT 12:17 PM

Hi I like this site. Hope you can help me. 1997 dodge caravan 3.0 120,000 miles. Had much work done on this car. Is there an "easy way" to get off back brakes? It is sure not like the older cars. They came right off! Before going to nursing I did them alot thought I'de give it another shot! And will bad brakes make check engine light go on?

killzodiak

June, 7, 2006 AT 11:51 AM

Depending on if they are drum brakes or disk brakes it could be really easy or impossible. As for the check engine light the brakes should have nothing to do with it being on. Check you brake fluid and if the light is still on get one of the scanners that are advertised on the site to find out whats causeing the light.

foxyb3b

June, 8, 2006 AT 12:13 PM

Thanks for answering. They are drum breaks. I remember doing one only last year but I had such a problem I didn't do the other. It was quite easy when I figured out how to get it off but I forgot how I did it. I thought mabe I bled it a lil then it came off easy. Do you know?

killzodiak

June, 8, 2006 AT 2:11 PM

Ive never had to replace drum breaks but if you have a haynes book it should describe how to get them off. If the book doesnt say then I can ask my uncle, he has replaced them before. But the repair manual should say how to do it.

Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Mercedes ML