93 HUMMING NOISE

1993 Dodge Caravan

leopoldorozco

My '93 Dodge Caravan 3.0 lately started making a humming noise accompanied with a slight vibration perceptible after 40 mph at the steering wheel, both disappearing below 40 mph.
The sound seems to come from the passenger side axle. As soon as this noise came on, the inner side of the front tires started to show signs of wear, so I took it to the shop to check the alignment that was done a couple months earlier, the computer showed that the alignment was within the manufacturer's specifications. So, they inspected and re-torqued some bolts, rotated tires etc. In hope that this would solve the problem.
Now, the rotated tires are also showing the same wear pattern.
I'm sure the humming sound, vibration and tires wear are related because all appeared about the same time.
Any ideas or suggestions? Thank you.

carundell

January, 28, 2007 AT 7:05 AM

Hey Leopold,
There is a definite alignment issue and even though the vehicle may be with in mfr specs, its obvious that further alignment adjustments are needed. A good alignment tech can take the wear of the tires into consideration and adjust accordingly. Let us know!

Chris

Jack42

February, 1, 2007 AT 7:37 AM

Could be a bad wheel bearing on that side that is creating the extra camber you are talking about. They will also make noise like that.

carundell

February, 1, 2007 AT 7:54 AM

Great point Jack! Though hopefully the tech checked for that! Would also add, given the age of the van, maybe a more closer look at the control arms and bushings should be in order too! As when the vehicle is sitting on the alignment rack it may be in spec, yet under acceleration or normal driving these components may be shifting causing a misalignment!

Chris

Oil Change and Oil Filter Replacement VW
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Toyota
Engine Oil Change and Filter Honda Element
Brake Pads/Rotor Replacement Chevy Silverado