89 WONT START

1989 Dodge Caravan

dcantrel1

March, 2, 2007 AT 4:59 PM

My Caravan is a 3.0 with 150,000 miles. It died at a red light and wouldnt crank back up. I had it towed home and tested the fuel pump, it was bad. I replaced the pump and it still wouldnt start. I then checked to see if it was firing, and it is not. So with no fuel or fire I replaced the computer and there is still no fuel or fire. Is there a fuse somewhere for this I cant find anything.

Daniel

bubba_koski

March, 3, 2007 AT 1:38 PM

Ok the computer was not needed. If there is no spark, id check the rotor first because its the cheapest and easiest to replace, but first take off the dist. Cap, and see if the terminals under it are corroded, then check to see if the silver prong on the rotor is corroded as well, now with the cap off, have someone crank the motor and see if the rotor is turning if not you need a distributor, if so then check your coil, and plugs.

Bvy rotor I mean rotor button, not the brake rotor lol

dcantrel1

March, 4, 2007 AT 8:43 AM

The cap and button are new and so are the plugs and wires. There is no fire from the coil and also there is no fuel at the fuel lines. The button is turning as it should. I replaced the computer because there is no fuel or fire, but still there is nothing. I was thinking there may be a fuse/link in the harness somewhere. I dunno I'm running out of ideas.

Daniel

retiredauto

March, 4, 2007 AT 10:39 AM

I would look into the power dist. Box, poss. Asd relay or wiring, I have ran into corrosion in the underside of them before? Let me know what happens

dcantrel1

March, 5, 2007 AT 11:30 AM

I found the fuse/links there are two links that come out of the wiring harness right beside the computer. One of them was burnt out. $3.99 at Autozone for the fuse. Starts up runs great now.

Daniel

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement