2005 Dodge grand Caravan?

JEFFROAH
  • 2005 DODGE CARAVAN
When I push on the gas I have this rattiling sound from the engine people have told me it's cheap gas but it only makes this noise at low rpm between 1700-2200. I think it is my valvles the van runs great and the engine light is not on what do you think I can do to fix this problem?
Sunday, June 10th, 2007 AT 2:44 PM

KIN CHAN
- u wanna know why or u wanna learn how to be a mechanic so u can fix ur o6' car?
P.S. - What scientific evident u have to substantiate ur allegation about valve train problem?
--> await for answer from u
-1
Sunday, June 10th, 2007 AT 5:18 PM
JEFFROAH
I would like to know your opinion on this problem so I can get it fixed. I know a litte about cars and its not a steady tick or anthing it is a rattle but only upon acceleration also only at low rpm. Once again its a 2005 dodge grand caravan with 58000 mile and its well matianed driven only about 5 to 10 miles a day. Your help would be much appreciated.
Sunday, June 10th, 2007 AT 7:50 PM
JEFFROAH
I know that overfueling or under fueling or cheap gas can give you some valve niose. But I was just wanting a pros opinon. Also do you think a higher octane fuel would help I only use 87 octane now (b-cuz of the price) or do you think that some sort of fuel injector cleaner would be a good idea. Once again thank you.
Sunday, June 10th, 2007 AT 7:52 PM
KIN CHAN
I can tell right of the bat.I am seeing 2 possibility
- dodge do have tons of recall or screw up that bury under pile of red tape.
- most likely a reprogram.
- 2nd. Ur problem is engine performance and emission repair L1 tech territority.
- tobe absolute. If this car is in my shop.I will definitely look at the scanner live data chking air fuel ratio, misfire, mass air flow sensor. To make sure that if it is a misfire. Either cuz by mechanical(valve train), ignition, air fuel.I will also hook 5 gas up ur tailpipe under a load and see if the engine is performing complete combustion at that particular range. After all hardware and data chks out.I would go thru all network and chk similar symptoms.
Since ur car is so new. We as an independent shop still just getting the beginning of 06' model.I would definitely place wireless electronic microphone and
zero in where the noise came from and start chking on all bulletin and chrysler website. Bear in mnd this is what a professional shop can do. Not u. Cuz car repair info is dime in a dozen. Only with enuff experiences and training can get infomations from everywhere and finish the puzzle for conclusion.
But I can tell u 1 thing for sure. Lookin at the O2 sensor on the scanner with live data at that rpm range will verify if u have a burn valve or else map sensor with vac transducer on an oscilliscope will verify a valve train problem. Keep me update. This is the most challenging case i've encounter on this site.I will follow up toe to toe with u. Just email me.
U also must understand. Our inevitable obstactles. There's a lot of thing I can't do or see when a car is not in front of me. As for now playing long distant internet mechanic. Be patient.I won't quit on u.
+1
Sunday, June 10th, 2007 AT 8:09 PM
RPG007
I have the same problem.

Somewhere around 1200-1300 rpm there is harmonic low pitch growling like sound that seems to come from the front - best guess is low to the ground in the center of vehicle under the hood maybe a little closer to the passenger side (feels like it's coming from just in front of the center console towards front of vehicle).

No grumbling is detectable when not in gear and car is revved to culprit RPM value (neither neutral or park) so it seems car must be in gear -- also, speed seems to play a role as 1200 rpms at some speeds it is not present (or at least not as pronounced) it is wost around 38 miles per hour and you get in the sweet spot of 1200-1300 rpms. Same speed at another rpm there is no noise.

I think I can hear it through all gears at that rpm but it may be my imagination but it may be there at a lower volume that I just can't hear it over the road and wind noise.

Took to dealer and thought it was alternator and it was replaced -- no effect.

40,000 miles, SXT.

Thanks for any input.

Rodney rpg007@aol. Com
Monday, June 11th, 2007 AT 11:04 AM