2004 Dodge Caravan Front end vibration

EMTMAN43
  • 2004 DODGE CARAVAN
I get a vibration in the front I can hear and feel in the steering wheel. It starts at 45 to 70 MPH. I have had the wheels balanced 3 times in 3 months, had a front end alignment, replaced the Right CV's and shaft and still no luck. My funds are limited, would you be able to "steer" in a better direction.
Bob
Wednesday, October 22nd, 2008 AT 5:33 AM

Hi:
What you described sounds like wheel balance. Has your mechanic checked for a broken belt in the tires or a bent rim?

If you rotate the tires, do you still have the same problem?

Let me know.
+1
Wednesday, October 22nd, 2008 AT 8:13 AM
EMTMAN43
Joe,
I replaced all 4 tires because they were out of round. This cleared up 90% of the problem. The car runs quieter much less vibration, it still vibrates some at 60-65 miles an hour. What else could it be. The driver side CV's? I don't hear any unusual sound from the bearings.
Bob
Monday, November 3rd, 2008 AT 5:14 PM
Hi Bob:
If you had the tires replaced, there are still some other things that could cause a vibration. It could be caused by a bad steering component, alignment, or a bent wheel. I'm sure that they checked the wheels when they replaced the tires, but they have missed something.

When you're driving, can you drive through the vibration? In other words, if you drive 70, does the vibration go away? If it does, I whould have the tire balance checked again. Also, can you feel the vibration in the steering wheel or the floor, seat?

+3
Monday, November 3rd, 2008 AT 7:07 PM
EMTMAN43
Joe,
It vibrates st around 45 and gets worse when I accelerate on the freeway. I cannot get it to smooth out. The tires I bought are Sumitomo Touring. They do seem to ride a little rough at low speeds and they are not overinflated. I was wondering if there are some problems I'm over looking common to Dodge. I don't think it is tie rods because I can ride the highway fairly straight and don't seem to have much play.I don't have any humming to indicate wheel bearings. Could it be struts with 84,000 miles? I tried the ole push hard but don't see a problem. Maybe at my age I don't have the ooomph.
Bob
-1
Tuesday, November 11th, 2008 AT 5:37 PM
Hi Bob:

I'm sure you're strong enough to check the struts. However, I too am starting to feel my age. Is this what we have to look forward to?

Regardless, there are no specific problems specific to Dodge. However, I do have another question. Do you seem to feel it worse under an acceleration? Has anyone checked motor mounts or the trans mount? You could be getting a drive line vibration through the frame if a rubber bushing is bad on one of the mounts.

Let me know. I'm sorry I keep coming up with different things to check, but when I'm not there, I have to ask.

Also, is there any noise associated with the vibration?

Tuesday, November 11th, 2008 AT 6:23 PM
FASTMAMA
It sounds just like the problem with my 2000 Dodge Caravan. The vibration gets really bad when you drive over 70 mph, but there is no noise. I had 4 new tires put on, balanced, and new shocks and struts. Almost nothing changed, and it is still giving me headaches to drive.
+1
Wednesday, November 12th, 2008 AT 9:42 PM