TRANSMISSION IN LIMP MODE

2003 Dodge Caravan

ccan33

May, 6, 2010 AT 9:34 AM

2003 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 125000 miles

My caravan developed the following problem this past weekend, transmission would shift to 2nd and would not shift any further. I took vehicle to repair shop and they found the following error codes, 0700, 0733, 0734 and 1790. The repair shop recomended that I replace transmission to the tune of about $3,000 at the moment with times as hard as they are, I cannot afford it. I have been on you site and have noticed various posts on dodge transmissions and one recurrent solution is to replace the solenoid pack. Is this a job that I can do, I have worked on my own cars before, changing water pumps and other various items. Where is this solenoid pack located and is it an easy replacement? Thanks!

obxautomedic

May, 8, 2010 AT 6:11 PM

Yes you should be able to handle replacing the solenoid pack, the pic below is of a 97 but should be in same place. Also there are other possibilities...

The P0700 - is indicationing the TCM (Transmission Control Module) which is the Computer for the tranny.

The other 2 codes indicate the 3rd and 4th shift solenoids which could be the solenoid pack.

And the last code could be do to the TCM.

However, trying to diagnose the exact cause is a pain and to just start replacing electrical parts can cost you plus you cannot return them.

I would recommend taking it to a Transmission Shop for proper diagnosis.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/188069_97caravanselenoidpac_1.jpg

.