Limp mode

JEFF VINCENT
  • 1996 DODGE CARAVAN

I have a dodge Grand caravan with a v6 3.3l. My transmission get stuck in limp mode (2nd gear)and after 10 minute of driving when the engine and the tranny get warm, I turn off the engine and turn it on and the problem is gone. I did the check engine test and I had codes 12 and 55 which is normal I believe. I disconnected the battery to do a reset and I also tried to turn the key on and of 4 times and it doesn't work. Its stuck in limp mode only when the tranny and the engine is cold. Transmission fluid have been replaced 5 months ago (ATF+3) and looks good.

My fuses looks all right and also the wires so I think I should go to the dealership to get the actual ¨P codes ¨ or should I just change the speed sensors (in and out) and see if that work.

Someone can help me on that?

Thursday, April 29th, 2010 AT 6:04 PM

2CARPROS KEN

When this cycle starts it means an internal transmission seal has started to fail and it is dumping pressure. The cycle restarts when you cycle the ignition key. The transmission will need to be removed and replaced.

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken

Friday, August 18th, 2017 AT 8:15 PM
C. HOWARD
  • 1996 DODGE CARAVAN

96 dodge caravan 3.3 eng. 4spd auto. Trans goes to limp mode when "hot" after about 20 miles of driving. Sooner city driving. Replaced main trans computer and 2 speed sensors. What did I miss?

Friday, August 18th, 2017 AT 8:17 PM (Merged)

What trouble codes are you getting?

C. HOWARD

No trouble code available

ASEMASTER6371

When there is an electrical failure or internal issue, it will go into limp mode and stay there till it is turned off. When you re start it, it will operate normally till the fault comes back.

You need someone familiar with the 604 trans to diag the fault and give you a bid. In most cases, it is internal and may need to come out and re built.

BBBARR66
  • 1996 DODGE CARAVAN

1996 caravan in limp mode but also slipping really bad. I changed the tranny fluid and it shifted fine for 3 miles turned it off, got back in limp mode with slippage. How to troubleshoot the tranny problems I changed tranny fluid and it smelled burnt, put dexron/mercon fluid in wrong kind so I put atf 4 after draining bad stuff it drove fine for 3 miles turned it off got back in and straight to limp mode but now it slipping really bad. Also the tranny is a little over filled. What cuold be the problem what should I try 1st

Take it to a trans shop, if it was burnt before you changed the fluid then teh trans is toast and needs to be rebuilt

TORCHIE777
  • 1996 DODGE CARAVAN

1996 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 152000 miles

Tranny rebuilt at 135K (7 mos ago) If I idle in park after driving (say at a bank drive up) when I put it back in drive it stays in limp mode. If I shut off engine and restart I am fine. No check engine lights and no fluid leaks. I may have a leak in teh tranny cooling system as I have recently noticed annt freeze puddles. Thios happened after the limp mode issue started

BMRFIXIT

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Graphic9_33.jpg

Check tranny fluid and make sure it full and clean
need to check for tranny codes
suspect speed sensor and or tranny solenoid pack
good luck

PDPFISHIN
  • 1996 DODGE CARAVAN

1996 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 160000 miles

I ran low on fluid and It suddenly went into what I have learned is "Limp Mode" shifts easy into second and won't go into 3rd. I discovered the problem was the pan gasket was real loose so I replaced it and (the filter as well) tried to reset the computer. How do I get it off of Limp Mode?

Did you mean to type "A604"? That's the transmission used with the V-6 engines. To get it out of "Limp-in" mode, turn the ignition switch off and back on. Proof it's out of limp-in is that it starts out in first gear. If it starts out in second gear, a problem has already been detected. Suspect a sensor or a problem with what the sensors monitor. If it switches to second gear after it's moving, a problem occurred related to the gear it just shifted to or from, typically clutch plates or assemblies.

GASTRICKLAND
  • 1996 DODGE CARAVAN

1996 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

the tranny goes into limp mode if it down shifts while driving in the hills. I stop restart and it's good till it goes to limp mode. It's been rebuilt twice with less than 10,000 miles on the last rebuild. Any thoughts will help.

BMRFIXIT

Check for codes
suspect tranny solenoids pack or speed sensors

RUSTY1974
  • 1996 DODGE CARAVAN

1996 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 200, 00 miles

Our 1996 Caravan is stuck in limp home mode. It will not come out of second gear. We tried dropping the pan and changing the trans fluid and filter. This did not fix the problem. What should we do next.

OBXAUTOMEDIC

Is your check or service engine light on? If it is have codes pulled. Does the speedometer work?

It is possible the either the Vehicle Input Speed Sensor is Bad or the Output Speed Sensor or maybe even both. They are very inexpensive so I would change them first.

If that doesn't fix it, it may be the TCM (Transmission Control Module)

It is also very possible the tranny is in need of a rebuild.

Post your response here.

ERIKASDADDY
  • 1996 DODGE CARAVAN

My father pulled the fuse in my van and the computer has put the transmission in limp mode I have tried pulling battery cable overnight, and taking the fuse out for an hour and no luck in reseting the computer does anyone have any suggestions?

The computer resets each time the ignition switch is turned off and back on. If it starts out in limp-in right away, suspect a blown fuse or a defective sensor. If it goes to limp-in during or right after an up-shift, it is more likely to be caused by slippage in one of the clutch packs.

JAYMANN1992
  • 2003 DODGE CARAVAN

I have a 2003 dodge grand caravan with a 3.3, I am stuck in limp mode, only codes I get are p0700 and p1684, I have replaced both output and input speed sensors, I have tested wires I am weighing on it being either a bad TCM or the solenoid pack, I however believe that I am of fault as to why it went into limp mode, I was at a red light, I needed to get over a lane, so me being an complete **** I applied the break and gas pedal to anticipate the change in the light switching to green, when I let go of the brake, I noticed the limp mode, any aspect as to what I may or may not have done to cause this will be greatly appreciated

The 0700 is the etax controller which could have been set by the p1684 see pics for diagnosis on thing s to check otherwise let a pro handle it.

JAYMANN1992

I've checked the pins 56 and 57, I have positive connection at 56, and grounded connection at 57, when the car is running, it seems as though I have a ground connection at 15, I've read that that was suppose 12v positive don't know if that's an issue or normal.