2003 Dodge Caravan no start

RENZYB
  • 2003 DODGE CARAVAN
I have a 2003 dodge grand caravan that recently started dying out. Now it doesnt start at all I checked the starter and the battery and they both test good. Any ideas?
Monday, August 23rd, 2010 AT 3:34 PM

MERLIN2021
Start with the basics, and work your way up, Last tune up was? Wires plugs ALL filters? If all that is ok, check for a stuck EGR, then test fuel pump pressure, If it won't restart, determine what's missing, the engine needs three things to run, Spark at all plugs, gas to all cylinders, and compression in all cylinders, tho an engine may run lacking one in one cylinder, it won't run very well!
http://www.2carpros.com/car_repair_video/test_fuel_injection_pressure.htm
Go here and checkout our video.
http://www.2carpros.com/car_repair_video/test_engine_ignition_system.htm
and this one!
Check and get back to me.
Monday, August 23rd, 2010 AT 3:39 PM
RENZYB
Sorry I guess I failed to state the obvious. The starter won't even turn over at all. But it is getting juice to it.
Monday, August 23rd, 2010 AT 4:04 PM
RENZYB
2002 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 147000 miles

The problem is simple. Turn the key to √ √ √ start√ √ √ and nothing happens but the starter relay comes on.

The van has been driving normal for 3 months now. I had a new PCM and Map sensor installed three months ago. No signs of problems at all. The wife drove it home, parked it for 3 or 4 days and this happened.

One problem exists with the key off.
1. The steering wheel does not lock in the park position. I don√ √ √ t know how long this has been the case.

This is what I have with the key in the on position.
1. All dash lights are on as normal.
2. I can hear the fuel pump coming on and hum.
3. I can hear the injectors (or something in the immediate area) click and hum.
4. All other controls work. Ex. Heater, radio, lights, and even the back up lights in reverse.
5. The gearshift shows it in park and it switches through the gears correctly. (Yes, I have tried starting in neutral. Lol)

Here are the parts that I have checked and tested to be good.
1. Starter (new and tested)
2. Battery (new and trickle charged 12.65 volts)
3. All relays and all fuses in the relay box (metered with power and off)
4. Voltages are present at the starter and ground is good on the battery.
5. The control wire from the starter to the relay ohms out good.
6. All connections have been cleaned and tests good.
7. The PCM has worked fine for three months. It√ √ √ s from AutoZone and had been flashed and coded with my VIN. (Don√ √ √ t know if it is bad or good now.)

The neutral positioning switch is incased in the tranny (non-removable) and is a 6 (I think) pole plug. Hanes book doesn√ √ √ t even cover this type of switch. All others are removable 3 pole switches.

I have no engine codes when I try the key method. (On, off, on, off, on)

I tried a completely separate circuit/switch for the starter. With the key both in the on position and start position, in neutral and park. It cranked the engine but no spark was present to the plugs.

One thing to note, when I try to start with the key as normal, the radio shuts off when the key is in the start position.

I have almost totally given up. What next.

All symptoms and things checked like this person.
And same results except mine is a 2003 and the steering wheel still locks when key is off no codes no check engine light on
Monday, August 23rd, 2010 AT 4:12 PM
MERLIN2021
This could be the ignition switch, not the key(cylinder) but the plastic part the harness plugs into, or your computer(PCM), Test the switch like this:
IGNITION SWITCH 1. Remove ignition switch. See IGNITION SWITCH & LOCK CYLINDER under REMOVAL & INSTALLATION. Check continuity between ignition switch terminals No. 3 and 5 with ignition switch in START and RUN positions. See Fig. 3 . If continuity exists, go to next step. If continuity does not exist, replace ignition switch. 2. Check continuity between ignition switch terminals No. 4 and 5 with ignition switch in START position. If continuity exists, go to next step. If continuity does not exist, replace ignition switch. 3. Ignition switch sends multiplexed commands to Body Control Module (BCM). Use scan tool to diagnose affected system(s). For diagnosis and repair, see BODY CONTROL MODULES - CARAVAN, TOWN & COUNTRY, & VOYAGER article. For ignition switch circuit function, see IGNITION SWITCH CIRCUIT FUNCTIONS table.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_IGN_SW_2.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_IGN_SW_Chart_1.jpg

+1
Tuesday, August 24th, 2010 AT 4:51 PM
RENZYB
K so funny thing. I did that test and pins 4&5 didnt have continuity so I replaced the ignition switch. After replacing the switch I started the vehicle and it immediately died and now im right back to where I was with a no start issue. This is frustrating.
Wednesday, August 25th, 2010 AT 5:32 PM
MERLIN2021
Any codes now?
Friday, August 27th, 2010 AT 7:03 PM
RENZYB
Dont have access to an OBD II and cycling the key doesn't show any codes on the odometer.
Saturday, August 28th, 2010 AT 10:46 AM
MERLIN2021
After cycling the key, does the check engine light flash? If yes it's flashing 2 digit codes, let me know and I'll explain how to read them.
Saturday, August 28th, 2010 AT 3:59 PM
RENZYB
I have gotten my hands on on OBD and there is no stored or pending codes in the system at all. But I after 4 days of not touching it the van started 4 times ran for 2 minutes or so each time then died and now wont start again wont turn over nothing.
Thursday, September 2nd, 2010 AT 12:34 PM
MERLIN2021
When you replaced the ignition switch, did you replace the key as well? If yes, it will need to be programmed. Running for a few seconds and dying is a symptom of a security module issue. It would have to be scanned with a scan tool that reads B and U codes. Generic scanner dont do this.
Friday, September 3rd, 2010 AT 1:26 PM
RENZYB
No didnt replace the key but I did manage to find the problem and got my van running! Thanks for your help and feedback though
Friday, September 3rd, 2010 AT 10:28 PM
MERLIN2021
If you dont mind my asking, what was the problem? It could help others with the same problem?
Saturday, September 4th, 2010 AT 10:52 AM
RENZYB
Well I guess it was temporary because the issue is back. There was something that popped my fuel pump fuse a wire that looked to be shorting out but I soldered it and covered with shrink wrap car ran fine for 2 days and now same issue again. Will get back to you when I know more
Saturday, September 4th, 2010 AT 10:43 PM