2002 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 147000 miles
The problem is simple. Turn the key to √ √ √ start√ √ √ and nothing happens but the starter relay comes on.
The van has been driving normal for 3 months now. I had a new PCM and Map sensor installed three months ago. No signs of problems at all. The wife drove it home, parked it for 3 or 4 days and this happened.
One problem exists with the key off.
1. The steering wheel does not lock in the park position. I don√ √ √ t know how long this has been the case.
This is what I have with the key in the on position.
1. All dash lights are on as normal.
2. I can hear the fuel pump coming on and hum.
3. I can hear the injectors (or something in the immediate area) click and hum.
4. All other controls work. Ex. Heater, radio, lights, and even the back up lights in reverse.
5. The gearshift shows it in park and it switches through the gears correctly. (Yes, I have tried starting in neutral. Lol)
Here are the parts that I have checked and tested to be good.
1. Starter (new and tested)
2. Battery (new and trickle charged 12.65 volts)
3. All relays and all fuses in the relay box (metered with power and off)
4. Voltages are present at the starter and ground is good on the battery.
5. The control wire from the starter to the relay ohms out good.
6. All connections have been cleaned and tests good.
7. The PCM has worked fine for three months. It√ √ √ s from AutoZone and had been flashed and coded with my VIN. (Don√ √ √ t know if it is bad or good now.)
The neutral positioning switch is incased in the tranny (non-removable) and is a 6 (I think) pole plug. Hanes book doesn√ √ √ t even cover this type of switch. All others are removable 3 pole switches.
I have no engine codes when I try the key method. (On, off, on, off, on)
I tried a completely separate circuit/switch for the starter. With the key both in the on position and start position, in neutral and park. It cranked the engine but no spark was present to the plugs.
One thing to note, when I try to start with the key as normal, the radio shuts off when the key is in the start position.
I have almost totally given up. What next.
All symptoms and things checked like this person.
And same results except mine is a 2003 and the steering wheel still locks when key is off no codes no check engine light on
Monday, August 23rd, 2010 AT 4:12 PM