Brake Lights do not work

BOB57HDT
  • 2003 DODGE CARAVAN
Electrical problem 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 100320 miles

Brake lights do not come on when brake pedal is pushed. I have turn signal lights, running lights but no brake lights. I have checked the fuse in the fuse box under the hood and have replaced the brake light switch, even though it checked out OK. I read that there is a left and right brake/turn signal light relay but I cannot locate it. Does not seem it would be that in that both turn signals work but not the brake light. Are the brake light bulbs and turn signal bulbs the same?
The high brake light on the rear hatch does not work. Took it apart and bulb is burned out. No markings on bulb, will have to find out # so I can replace it. Will that make all brake lights stop working?

Circuits at brake switch OK

I need help. Any suggestions guys? Bob
Wednesday, April 8th, 2009 AT 10:50 AM

Hello, does the high mount brake light work? At the brake switch, the gray wire with red tracer is the feed circuit to the switch, hot all the time. White wire with tan tracer is the feed to the brake lites. Check both circuits with the brake switch activated. The high mount brake lite shouldn't effect the others. Check the white wire with the tan stripe at the rear for voltage, with the brake switch activated. If you have good voltage, check the ground. Did you check the bulbs and everything at the rear?

Here are some guides and wiring diagrams so you can do some simple testing.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/brake-lights-not-working

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

And so you can double check the fuses #26

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-fuse

Here is the the brake light wiring diagrams so you can do some easy testing and see where you lose power at.

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers
+2
Wednesday, April 8th, 2009 AT 11:20 AM
BOB57HDT
Did not consider all the bulbs going out at same time. Probably over a weeks time.

Turns out all three bulbs, although they looked fine, when checked for continuity, they were bad. Replaced all and now have brake lights. Feel real dumb.

Thanks for all the help.

Bob
Wednesday, April 8th, 2009 AT 3:29 PM
That is unusual, all the bulbs being bad. Glad you got it fixed.
Thursday, April 9th, 2009 AT 7:46 AM
EDWJPHILLIPS
  • 2003 DODGE CARAVAN
Brakes problem
2003 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 212000 miles

I have no rear brake lights and the ABS dash light is always on. The fuses are okay. I replaced the brake switch above the brake pedal but did not disconnect the negative cable from the battery. So, I went back and disconnected the negative cable from the battery and replaced the (same) brake switch a second time. I still have no brake lights. What should I do?
+1
Saturday, November 18th, 2017 AT 8:02 PM (Merged)
Could be coming from the front control module or an open wire from the module to the brake lite bulb socket
RGOULDNER
  • 2003 DODGE CARAVAN
Brakes problem
2003 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 97000 miles

I have no brake lights and have checked the fuse and replace the brake pedal switch to no avail. Whats the possibility that all three bulbs burnt at once (tail lights are fine)
-1
JAMES W.
It highly unlikely that all 3 lights would burn out at the same time, but they could one at a time over a period of time. And, if you're like me, how often do you actually check your brake lights? Bulbs have a life span and it almost seems like they have a timer in them. Like headlamps, you replace one and it seems like a week or two later, the other one goes out. I would check the bulbs, if they're good, check for power at the pedal switch. If no power there, double check your fuses. One last thing. When I'm out driving around, I see more Dodge vans with brake lights out than any other vehicle. I don't know why, but it's true. Thank you for your donation, Jim.
+1
FUELNFIRE1
  • 2000 DODGE CARAVAN
Engine Cooling problem
2000 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 113000 miles

im having the same problem, no brake lights I have trace wires and check and even changed the brake light switch and still no brake lights
ZACKMAN
Driver side, passenger side, and 3 high mount light, are they all not working?

Is your cruise control working?

Is the ABS light turned on, inside the instrument cluster?

Have you checked fuse # 11 inside the power distribution center, under the hood?
BBOYDA
  • 2000 DODGE CARAVANDODGE CARAVAN
I noticed that the signal flasher on the drivers side was flashing much faster than the passenger side, on inspection I found that the drivers side rear signal light and brake light did not work, all others worked, the tail lights work as well. Changed bulbs with no results. This is a 2005 Dodge Caravan. Ideas would be great. Thanks
Check the ground to it.
-1
HOLYSOUL19
  • 2000 DODGE CARAVAN
2000 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

back-up, tail, turn signal, center hight-mounted stop light all works but the stop lights.
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Check fuses and bulbs first, if OK suspect faulty brake light switch
666SUPER_BOB
  • 2000 DODGE CARAVAN
2000 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 240000 miles

any ideas on the brake light switches? Ive heard they are junk, just wanted some input
There have been no reported problems. If it made it 240K, it did well. As far as the brake lights not working, have you checked for power to the switch and out of the switch?
666SUPER_BOB
It did well? Im trying to fix the brake lights. And yes I checked powers and grounds, for opens or shorts. And then I isolated the circuit to the switch. I then replaced the brake light switch and now they work.
I'm glad you got it fixed. I had a feeling it was the brake light switch. What I ment was it the switch made it to that mileage, it did a good job.

Take care and let us know if you have other questions.

PMCTWINS
  • 2002 DODGE CARAVAN
I have a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport and my brake lights do not work. The fuses are good, stop light switch replaced, and the bulbs are good. Turn signal and tail lights are ok. What else could be checked? I am no mechanic, I am just trying to help get some answers so my dad can check further. Thank you for any help.
Saturday, November 18th, 2017 AT 8:03 PM (Merged)
DOCFIXIT
Does high mount brake light work?
+1
PMCTWINS
No, it's not working either