2003 Dodge Caravan AIR BLOWS SOFTLY THROUGH VENTS

DUPLABY
  • 2003 DODGE CARAVAN
I have a 2003 Dodge Caravan with 104,000 miles. I have problems with my AC unit. When the AC is running the air coming out the vents is very low/soft. On full blast, it's making a lot of noise, but not much air is coming out. Someone told me that a vacuum line is the problem that controls the register/doors that open and close when the fan control is moved or vent control is used. I don't know which vacuum line(s) control these mechnics. Does anyone have a diagram that can tell me what vacuum line(s) that could be the problem, or it there's another issue that could be a problem and a fix to this problem.

I live in New Orleans, and it is extremely hot, and I really need to get this AC unit blow much harder than it is. Going to a mechanic will cost me a great deal of money, which I can't afford those prices.

Need your help. Thanks
Monday, June 14th, 2010 AT 11:25 PM

BMRFIXIT
Lets try and check cabin air filter 1st

CABIN AIR FILTER
NOTE:Manufacturer's terminology for this filter is Particulate Air Filter, Air Filter, or A/C Filter.

Removal

Locate the air filter door on the bottom of the lower evaporator housing just outboard of the passenger side of the instrument panel center stack. See Fig. 1.

Courtesy of DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION
Slide the air filter door latch toward the rear of the vehicle until it engages the opened stop on the door.
Pull the air filter door latch straight downward to disengage it from the air filter opening of the lower evaporator housing.
Use your fingers to reach through the air filter opening of the lower evaporator housing far enough to grasp the air filter.
Pull the air filter straight down and out of the evaporator housing. See Fig. 2.

Courtesy of DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION
Installation

NOTE:Note the airflow directional arrow imprinted on the foam seal around the frame of the air filter. This arrow should always be oriented towards the center of the vehicle.

With the air filter airflow arrow properly oriented, carefully slide the filter fully upward into the evaporator housing through the air filter opening.
With the latch still positioned against its opened stop, reinstall the air filter door onto the lower evaporator housing air filter opening.
Slide the air filter door latch toward the front of the vehicle until it hits the closed stop on the door.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Graphic_87.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Graphic1_723.jpg

-1
Tuesday, June 15th, 2010 AT 9:54 PM
DUPLABY
Are you sure this diagram is for a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan, if so please point out the location on the van the diagrams refer to? I don't think my van has a filter.

Also, do you think it could possibly be a vacuum problem - is there a diagram that I can check the vacuum for the AC unit that aids in opening the registers on the vent control?
+1
Monday, June 21st, 2010 AT 11:23 PM
BMRFIXIT
If you have a Canadian model possibilities is that you don't have cabin filter
its located behind the glove box
if you don't see the picture that I sent, you don't have one

vacuum leak
vacuum control the direction
if have vacuum leak you will have no control on where to direct the air and it will default to defrost 90%and on feet

In engine compartment, locate Black vacuum hose that runs from brake booster check valve or intake manifold, through firewall near heater hoses or expansion valve. This supply vacuum hose goes to A/C-heater control panel vacuum switch.
Within Black vacuum hose, disconnect and remove check valve near intake manifold or brake booster.

Replace check valve if vacuum leak exists.

Vacuum should flow through check valveand not back.
Replace check valve if operation is not as described.

NOTE:Some models use brake booster check valve for vacuum source. These models do not use another in-line vacuum check valve.
-1
Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010 AT 6:22 AM