WONT START

2000 Dodge Caravan

Efren79

August, 17, 2010 AT 6:18 AM

2000 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

Hi all,

My Van wont start.
First off I am disabled, I can't do it my self.
I have friends & family that are mechanics but not certified : )

When they turn the key to start it, it doesn't crank up. All lights turn on but cant crank. We think it cough ground.

This is how it started off. First, my fans weren't turning on. So my frind started to check the sensors, switches, fuses & relays.

When he removed the fuse & relay panel (on the side of the battery). He heard a circuit. He didn't disconnect the battery : ( That's why (he thinks) it cough ground.

They tried everything possible. From checking every relay, fuse, sensors and switches. He replaced the ignition switch, battery, even the fuse & relay panel (my cousin has the same van, we swap it).

When they try and start it directly from the starter. It does crank BUT wont crank up.

Here is some question you guys might have.

1. No, I don't have an alarm
2. No security light comes out
3. Yes, they tried the neutral switch
4. Yes, they tried cleaning the battery terminals.

P.S.
Found what the problem was with the fans. Its the radiator cooling fan relay. I had replaced it before but never ground it. That's why the fans stopped working. They can't test it know because my van wont start : (

Thanks in advance.

August, 17, 2010 AT 9:17 AM

Hi Efren79,

Thank you for the donation.

The starter relay receives its power from the ignition switch via Fuse # 10 (10 A) in junction box to energise it. The grounding of the relay coil is via the PCM starter relay control, to energise the relay.

Symptoms indicate the PCM is not grounding the circuit to energise the starter relay or power from the relay is not being transmitted to the starter solenoid.

If you have not tried substituting the PCM, you should give it a try. At least you can plug the PCM to your cousin's vehicle to test if it starts up. Check the PCM grounds first.

To test the starter circuit, try the following.

Unplug the starter relay and test terminal # 30 for battery voltage. If voltage is available, use a jumper to briefly bridge # 30 and # 87. If the starter cranks, this circuit is good.

Check terminal # 86 for battery voltage when ignition switch is turned to START. If battery voltage is available, bridge the test lamp across terminal # 86 and # 87 and turn ignition switch to START. If test lamp turns on, replace the starter relay and retest.

If test lamp does not turn on, use ohmmeter to test terminal # 87 for ground to body. If no continuity id found, try substituting the PCM.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_StartingCircuit00CaravanFig05_1.jpg

Efren79

August, 17, 2010 AT 10:06 AM

Can you post a picture where the PCM is located

August, 17, 2010 AT 10:39 AM

PCM = Powertrain Control Module in the diagram, at left side of engine compartment.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_EngineComponent00CaravanFig02_1.jpg

Efren79

August, 26, 2010 AT 1:51 PM

Thanks for your help. As I mentioned, I'm disabled and have to depend on people to help me. Sorry I took long to reply.

My cousins van is a 2000 Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3L

The engine looks identical.

Will it be okay to swap the PCM?

August, 26, 2010 AT 3:07 PM

It is ok, you can reply at your convenience.

If the PCM part number are the same then a swap is possible otherwise it would not work.

Efren79

November, 15, 2010 AT 8:12 AM

Sorry for the late reply. It was the PCM. Thanks guys!

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement