2000 Dodge Caravan Transmission Stuck in 1st?

JOHNROSE7
  • 2000 DODGE CARAVAN
I drive a 2000 Dodge Caravan. 141,000 miles. Tranny has leaked fluid (ONLY during cold weather) for years, but is not a problem during summer. I always keep fluid topped off. Anyway, the past 2 weeks it will suddenly get stuck in FIRST gear only and will not upshift. Then I cant use interstate. If I park it for a little bit (go into a store, whatever), then its fine again and I can go interstate. Until the next time it happens, usually sometime the next day or two. Its happened about 6 times now. Never happens while driving 60 MPH. Every time it happens, its around town while doing 35-45MPH. Fluid level is good, clear, clean, and not burnt smelling.

I have not taken it to a shop yet, because I KNOW they WILL tell me I need a new transmission, and I think its probably NOT the case. Could it be the control module? What do you think it likely is? Thank you very, very much.
Wednesday, May 10th, 2006 AT 10:58 PM

JOHNROSE7
Today I put my little OBD-2 reader ($60 Walmart) on and got one code, P0700. Research of this code generally has comments that the TCM (Transmission Control Modul), or rather PCM, needs to be replaced. Since this is about a $200 deal, I would like to know if this sounds like a good, secure diagnoses before I spend the money. If I need a rebuilt transmission anyway, I would rather save this $200. Thanks for ANY input or comments.
Thursday, May 11th, 2006 AT 7:30 AM
ZASIMOM
I was wondering if you were able to fix your problem? The reason I asked is because my 2002 Dodge Intrepid has the same code. My car works fine until I have to slow down and then it seems to get stuck in gear (I've heard it called limp mode). If I stop the car and restart it, it will work fine until I slow back down again. Thanks.
Thursday, September 14th, 2006 AT 1:40 PM