BRAKE LINE REPLACEMENT

1998 Dodge Caravan

funnyonny

August, 17, 2010 AT 12:34 PM

Brakes problem
1998 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles

What would be the approximatecost to replace the brake lines on a 98 Dodge Caravan?

Wrenchtech

August, 17, 2010 AT 12:48 PM

I assume we are talking about rusted out steel lines. It depends on just how many lines you are replacing. They all have to be fabricated and all joints have t be double flared. It can be anywhere from 2 to 5 hours labor which could put you up in the $300 to $500 range

funnyonny

August, 17, 2010 AT 1:26 PM

Thanks, Wrenchtech. I got an estimate to replace the brake lines in the back portion of the vehicle, which I was told requires dropping the gas tank. It includes replacing the brake drum and shoes. Is this usually necessary if brake fluid has been leaking? - Total estimate was 785, about half of it labor.
He said that a center section of lines might have to be done in the future - they look corroded, but are not currently leaking. This would cost an additional 300 or so. Is it best to get it all done now? Does the price seem reasonable?

Wrenchtech

August, 17, 2010 AT 2:14 PM

The rear brakes are totally unrelated to the rusty brake lines so if it needs something there, that's an additional problem. The price sounds pretty steep if they are not including the mid lines. I usually do everything from about the firewall back for under $500

Bleed and Flush Your Brake System Correctly
Brake Pad/rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz
Parking Brake Shoe Replacement Chevy Tahoe