1993 Dodge Caravan Vacuum problem?

BENDARE2
  • 1993 DODGE CARAVAN
Engine problem
1993 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 252k miles

My 93 Caravan ran great/ well maintained.
It just start running rough/ idled slow/ hardly any power without pumping the pedal.

Worsened quickly(across town) no power/ if you hold the accellerator steady, it lopes/ dophins, and has a thumping backfire thru the intake.

I opened the air cleaner cover and it is sucking air like a jet engine! Loud roar. Never heard this noise before.

Puter code says O2/ replace it-not it/ replaced the ECG? Valve assembly, as per my mechanic. Nothing.

Gas pressure is good/ hoses are good.
BTW. The brake booster became intermittent/ because of the vacuum snafu I'm sure.

Now they have my engine top removed, trying to find the problem. Even the injectors. Tho I don't see a pressurized fuel system affecting the vacuum?

I need some help here before they decide to replace or rebuild the entire engine!

I mentioned the MAF(sp?) Sensor or the engine puter.I guess they didn't hear me. LOL!

HELP please. Ol'Ben
Tuesday, February 19th, 2008 AT 10:13 AM

BENDARE2
FOUND IT!

SPARK PLUGS? :Oops: Believe it?

They were so bad it shouldn't have run at all.

The bad plugs made all the sensors send signals to the puter that something was wrong.
. It was. All the sensors were right, except none pointed directly at the cause.

The puter, doing it's job, started slowly adjusting 'things'. Fuel/ air/. Etc. Til it reached a point where everything just snowballed.

Thought I was gonna have to rebuild old faithful!
The plugs were replaced and it ran. Ok but not good.
Already had replaced the ECG valve/ sensor.
Changed the MAP. Bingo. Runs good as ever.

Compression was super, @ about 125 on all cylinders?
Fuel pressure was great/ the injectors were fine.

252K+, and is like brand new.

I thought I'd share this.

Check those plugs! :Roll: :wink:

BTW. The old plugs? Bosch. They had 4 tips on them.
Good, I guess. I just ran them too long. LOL! :Shock:

Thanks. Ol'Ben
Friday, February 22nd, 2008 AT 9:30 AM