HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR FUEL SYSTEM CLEANERS TO WORK

• amylovesterry
  • 2002 Dodge Caravan

I brought my van to jiffy lube and had the fuel system cleaned and I am still having a little hesitation while at a stop sign I even had the air filter replaced what could be the problem

Tuesday, July 31st, 2012 AT 4:56 AM

• mhpautos

Fuel system cleaner is not an instant fix, it basically helps keep the system clean and won't do a full fuel system clean out, you may need to get the injectors ultrasonically cleaned and flow tested, your service centre can advise on this procedure, not all work shops are set up to do this, so you may have to ring around and get a few quotes first.

Tuesday, July 31st, 2012 AT 5:00 AM
  • amylovesterry

What would you recommend as a next step I just dont want this issue to end up being a costly thing

Tuesday, July 31st, 2012 AT 5:06 AM
  • mhpautos

If the lube place just used a bottle of fuel cleaner as I said that would do next to nothing, I would get the tune checked if this has not been done as yet and get a quote for a proper fuel system clean, be it a carbon clean or the ultrasonic clean, these will make a difference, when was the fuel filter last changed?

Tuesday, July 31st, 2012 AT 5:11 AM
  • amylovesterry

I dont know I bought the van a week ago

Tuesday, July 31st, 2012 AT 5:16 AM
  • amylovesterry

Jiffy lube the place that did the fuel system cleaning used pure power plus fuel system cleaner its by heartland its supposed to clean fuel and intake systems

Tuesday, July 31st, 2012 AT 5:33 AM
  • saturntech9

Just to add to this one did they just add it to the gas tank or run the cleaner thru a pressurized canister that runs the engine instead of the fuel pump?The pressurized canister works great for cleaning. Also you may not have a dirty fuel injector issue could be a ignition issue or something else. Is the problem worse with the ac on?

Tuesday, July 31st, 2012 AT 5:48 AM
  • amylovesterry

They hooked up a canister looking thing with a hose under the hood and one in the gas tank and the guy pressed on the gas petal and we havent tried it with the ac on

Tuesday, July 31st, 2012 AT 6:08 AM
  • saturntech9

So did the canister have a air hose going to it?

Tuesday, July 31st, 2012 AT 6:10 AM
  • amylovesterry

Yes I believe so I was thinking about changing the plugs and wires and fuel filter to see if it makes a difference but I just dont want this to be a costly thing I live on a fixed income but I need the problem fixed im lost

Tuesday, July 31st, 2012 AT 6:26 AM
  • amylovesterry

Is the fuel system cleaner supposed to work right away or does it take time to work?

Tuesday, July 31st, 2012 AT 6:27 AM