Low beam head light

SHERRYPOGAR
  • 2007 DODGE CALIBER
Four cylinder front wheel drive automatic 58,000 miles.

Our driver side low beam head light is not working. We purchased two different replacement lights and neither of those work.

We have checked the fuses and all is well. The high beam works. What is going on? We have now gotten a repair order but cannot seem to get it fixed. Any ideas?
Friday, August 27th, 2010 AT 10:56 PM

BUTTERFLYGRL17250
There are 2 fuses that can be out in the TIPM, here is a guide and some diagrams (below) so we can do some tests and see whats wrong.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-fuse

I have a 2007 Dodge Caliber and I recently took it to the shop because I had a headlight out and the headlight was not blown so i was unlucky. They told me that I had a circuit blown in my fuse box that controls the low beam to my headlight and they would have to replace the whole box and they could not just fix the circuit that had blown. They informed me that the part would be $745.00. I have this question posted at the moment. I am waiting to hear back to see if there is a fuse for you to fix the problem.

Hope this helps you!
-1
Saturday, September 11th, 2010 AT 2:57 PM
SHERRYPOGAR
Wow! I hope this is not the problem! We have an inspection ticket on it and really do not have $745.00 right now. Please, someone give us an alternate solution!
Saturday, September 11th, 2010 AT 5:23 PM
SHERRYPOGAR
I was reading somewhere on this forum that someone else had the same problem and just had to spend $100.00 for the dealer to reset the computer. The computer issue makes sense because our airbag light randomly comes on and goes off and the check engine light also randomly comes on and goes off. $100.00 is better than $750.00!
+9
Saturday, September 11th, 2010 AT 5:26 PM
SHERRYPOGAR
Butterfly Girl! Do not spend that money! Apparently all you need is for the computer thing to be reset. I took it to a place here locally that my husband used to take all his company vehicle to just to give them a shout out. They charged me $63.00 and cleared the codes and the light worked and I only think it was that much because they did not know what was wrong in the first place.

They are thinking that it is the same kind of system as the Mercedes that has to have to codes cleared every time you fix something like that. Which is a terrible way to design a car, but anyway, we are down $25.00 for the two lights and $63 for the clearing. Better than $745.00 anyway!

They also told me that the module rarely goes bad. Hope this helps!
Wednesday, September 15th, 2010 AT 9:49 PM
BUTTERFLYGRL17250
Thanks so much. I will definitely try that, but I will be sure not to take it back to the Dealership. I think they are definitely trying to rip me off! Thanks so much for your help!
+3
Thursday, September 16th, 2010 AT 10:33 AM
NELSON_VA
I also have the same issue and traced the circuit back to the computer chip inside the fuse block. I assumed that the chip was bad, although it is my passenger low beam that is out on mine.

I have the fuse block out of the car now and am getting ready to put it back in. I have previously reset the computer codes myself and it did not take care of it, but if it is a power off reset it needs, then I will know shortly.

I will report back on this in a little bit to see if that takes care of the problem.
+2
Saturday, October 2nd, 2010 AT 11:59 AM
NELSON_VA
It did not fix the problem the passenger side low beam is still not working.

Computer is not showing any codes as well.

After searching the internet, it appears as though this is becoming a problem on these vehicles. Some people report success with the computer reset. It is possible that the reset must be done by Chrysler or a place with a more sophisticated scan tool than I have.

I would advise anyone with this problem to keep looking for others that have it and see what becomes of it. Power in numbers!
+1
Saturday, October 2nd, 2010 AT 1:16 PM
JOEHAMM
How did you identify the low beam hot wire? What gauge of wire did you use?
+4
Tuesday, April 2nd, 2013 AT 4:06 AM
GERALDBOURGUET
Anyone with a 2007 Dodge Caliber who is still having problems with their headlights should watch this helpful video from ABC15. Investigative reporter Joe Ducey helps consumers who have been scammed in Phoenix and he recently did this piece about what to do when dealing with this very problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iui6IBniXfo
+10
Friday, April 26th, 2013 AT 7:55 PM
DANIEL FARRELL
I had the same problem with the TIPM. The reset did nothing. I cut the sockets off of the harnesses, added three inline fuses, three lighted rocker switches, three relays and ran a circuit for the low beams one for the driving lights and one for the high beams. Easy fix $25.00 (I already had the wire laying around because I am an electrician). Now I never have to worry about the lighting system circuit in the TIPM going bad again. PS. Do not pull the fuse for the headlights because the power source for the wipers comes from this circuit.
+1
Monday, September 19th, 2016 AT 5:30 PM
OLIVIER PANI
Hi Daniel Farrel. Can I please have the schematic of how you set up your system for it to work?
Tuesday, September 27th, 2016 AT 7:05 AM
KEN
Hey Olivier,

I have found these wiring diagrams for you, You will need to wiring in a relay which I have included the guide for. Please let me know how I can help you further.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

This guide tells you what part of the relay to wire for the headlights and which to wire from the switch.

Please let us know happens so it will help others.

Best, Ken
Friday, December 9th, 2016 AT 12:26 PM