1997 DODGE AVENGER 4 CYL FRONT WHEEL DRIVE ...

1997 Dodge Avenger

N8tive

March, 21, 2009 AT 3:07 PM

1997 Dodge Avenger 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

my dad gave me his old car but it wont seem to start. It has been sitting for awhile (years) so I changed the battery. What else can I do? Should I drain the old fuel? Is the engine even usable anymore? I would hate to have to get a new engine.

caradiodoc

March, 27, 2009 AT 12:22 AM

Why has it been sitting so long? Was it running ok when it was parked? Try holding the gas pedal down about 1/4" while cranking it. If it starts but won't stay running, it's because the engine computer lost its memory when the battery went dead. You will need to relearn minimum throttle. To do that, drive it at highway speed, then coast for at least seven seconds without touching the brake or gas pedals.

If it doesn't start, check for spark and fuel pressure. The fuel pump could be gummed up from sitting and needs a little coaxing to start running. No spark or fuel pressure can be related to the camshaft position sensor. Don't overlook the possibility of mice munching on the wires.

Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000