Yes, it can. In most cases it will set a code if the sensor is dropping its signals. In other cases, check basic ignition such as plugs, wires, cap and rotor.
Make sure fuel pressure is up to spec as well. Low fuel pressure will cause this issue.
Here is how to replace the crankshaft angle sensor with the relearn procedure and the sensor location in the diagrams below.
CKP SYSTEM VARIATION LEARN PROCEDURE
1. Install a scan tool.
2. Monitor the powertrain control module for DTCs with a scan tool. If other DTCs are set, except DTC P0315, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List for the applicable DTC that set.
3. Select the crankshaft position variation learn procedure with a scan tool.
4. The scan tool instructs you to perform the following:
- Accelerate to wide open throttle (WOT).
- Release throttle when fuel cut-off occurs.
- Engine should not accelerate beyond calibrated RPM value.
- Release throttle immediately if value is exceeded.
- Block drive wheels.
- Set parking brake.
- DO NOT apply brake pedal.
- Cycle the ignition from OFF to ON.
- Apply and hold the brake pedal.
- Start and idle engine.
- Turn A/C OFF.
- Vehicle must remain in Park or Neutral.
- The scan tool monitors certain component signals to determine if all the conditions are met to continue with the procedure. The scan tool only displays the condition that inhibits the procedure. The scan tool monitors the following components:
- Crankshaft position (CKP) sensors activity-If there is a CKP sensor condition, refer to the applicable DTC that set.
- Camshaft position (CMP) sensor activity-If there is a CMP sensor condition, refer to the applicable DTC that set.
- Engine coolant temperature (ECT)-If the engine coolant temperature is not warm enough, idle the engine until the engine coolant temperature reaches the correct temperature.
5. Enable the crankshaft position system variation learn procedure with the scan tool.
6. Accelerate to WOT.
IMPORTANT: While the learn procedure is in progress, release the throttle immediately when the engine starts to decelerate. The engine control is returned to the operator and the engine responds to throttle position after the learn procedure is complete.
7. Release when the fuel cut-off occurs.
8. The scan tool displays Learn Status: Learned this ignition. If the scan tool indicates that DTC P0315 ran and passed, the CKP variation learn procedure is complete. If the scan tool indicates DTC P0315 failed or did not run, refer to DTC P0315. If any other DTCs set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List for the applicable DTC that set.
9. Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds after the learn procedure is completed successfully.
Check out the diagrams (Below). Let us know what happens and please upload pictures or videos of the problem.
Images (Click to enlarge)
Wednesday, July 4th, 2018 AT 6:54 AM