Cranks will not start

SAMJ43138
  • 1993 TOYOTA CRESSIDA

Driving along fine it just shut off. Now will not start. Replaced fuel pump, checked timing belt, and timing okay. Still will not start. Replaced EFI relay still no go.

Thursday, October 26th, 2017 AT 9:25 AM

First, make sure the engine is getting both spark and fuel. The easiest thing to do is see if it starts with starting fluid. If it does, then there is a fuel issue. If it does not, there is an ignition problem. If you determine the problem to be fuel related, start by checking fuel pump pressure. If you determine it to be ignition related, you will need to check for trouble codes to help limit the possible problems. My first guess would be there was not a fuel issue but rather a crank sensor or coil issue.

Thursday, October 26th, 2017 AT 6:22 PM
TULIPINRICHMOND
  • 1986 TOYOTA CRESSIDA

1986 Toyota Cressida 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

My car was sitting for about 7 months.
I tried starting the car and it would not start. The battery had a dead cell and so I bought a new battery.
Then Installed the new battery and it worked fine for one day. The next day I tried starting the car and it would not start. Any ideas of what else might be going on? Should I look at the starter?

Wednesday, November 1st, 2017 AT 8:25 PM (Merged)

Get the alternator output test done and get back-could also be a short circuit draining the battery or problems within the starting circuit

-1
EHLIN

Car had a confirmed bench tested bad alternator which was replaced and the new one in the vehicle tested by autozone showing 80+ amp output.

Idiot light is still on showing an issue with the battery.

Car has had a history of battery drain.

Any suggestions of where to look in the harness?

Do below

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_parastic_draw_1_77.jpg

LUSINDISOS
  • 2000 TOYOTA CRESSIDA

2000 Toyota Cressida 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 50000 miles

Hi, I have problem were my car won't start. It show that a battery is flat, but I bought a new one it won't start still.

Does it crank and will not start or just won't crank at all/nothing

EXTRUDEDCOW

The Cressida was only produced until 1993, and only produced with a 4 cylinder motor in the late 70's in New Zealand. You may receive better advice if you post in the proper area.

CONGORETHY
  • 1984 TOYOTA CRESSIDA

1984 Toyota Cressida engine will not start after changing bad igniter (only one in USA located from Junk yard) (1st production car to use fuel injectors so they say) There is no signal to injector so no gas to start. It tries only to start, let it sit 5 minutes fires 1-2 hits more. Every once in a while the engine will race then next time it only fires a few hits? (Before replacing igniter, there was no fire at all. Before it completely died I use to plug in another used distributor into engine. I turned the distributor gear by hand while someone else cranked. When it almost ran on its own- I then plugged the distributor still connected in on engine to its connection and it ran fine for a week or so. It only would stop at Wal-Mart parking lot, most likely because it was my 2nd stop after it got hot! The Cressida started acting up after a short 250 mile trip in 90 degree summer weather. I only put 28,000 miles on it a year. I bought it in 1991 and never had any electrical issues with it before, except change alternator and lights! Main relay or engine relay got stuck.
Only thing I can think of now is engine computer problem. Years ago it had a similar or same problem (tries to start) and it was engine or main relay under the hood!
It died just like this 86,000 miles ago, that time I just changed fuel pump and all ok (no fire at that time either). This time it would not fire, but this time I had a garage change fuel pump. Toyota dealer ship(3rd Garage says relays-fuel pressure is OK, I find the part igniter and even let them use my shop manual which is most likely better than their computer service junk.
Zpinkpanther@juno. Com

You sounded as though it doesn't have spark if so No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing

PEREZRX
  • 1989 TOYOTA CRESSIDA

1989 Toyota Cressida 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 170000 miles

I was driving my car and all of a sudden it just cut off
and now it won't start. Any idea's?

Hi perezrx, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

Let's do below for a start to determine if its fuel or spark related issue and get back asap.

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it

-1
BENJAMINCHEA
  • 1983 TOYOTA CRESSIDA

Engine problem
1983 Toyota Cressida 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 225000 miles

It's an '83 Toyota Cressida inline 6 with 225k miles. A couple of days ago car went dead silent while driving. Suspected to be out of fuel (coming very close. Fuel guage is misleading so I guess-timate from miles driven). Added more fuel. Cranks but no start. Battery OK (recharged after cranking many times), sparks at all plugs, fuel pump is working, no air/vacuum leaks (visibly). After doing the above, car started for a few seconds then died. Now it is back to the original state. No start. But will crank. Starter is fine (solenoid is attached. Pretty sure it is also good). I believe all components of the ignition system is okay. Any suggestions? Thank you so much for your time and response.

Could be a jump timing-remove distributor cap-have helper crank engine over while you look at the rotor is it turning?

+1
BENJAMINCHEA

I disregarded the distributor and rotor when I performed the modified spark test where I ground the plug and crank the engine. The results were all six plugs fired. Is it conclusive enough to say it is ok?

Thanks rasmataz for the quick and helpful response!

What engine is this 5M-GE or 7M-GE

Yes the ignition is good it made all the way to the sparkplugs-color of spark is a snapping blue spark or orange looking?

Remove tube at throttle body and spray some carb cleaner in it and attempt to start-if it fires up. Do a fuel pressure check-to rule out the fuel pump and comeback and tell me what's happening. I got the 87 model/5M.

Open a few sparkplugs and look for coolant-the 5M their head are known to be bad corrosive/erodes.

BENJAMINCHEA

The engine type is 5M-GE and the color of the spark was bluish (had white color to it. Sure it is more blue than orange).

When I pulled the plugs (all of them) to test them for sparks I took a look at the piston heads. From what I can see and touch with my screwdriver, there is carbon buildup. No signs of coolant.

Here is something I found: After drying out plugs and chamber overnight from excess gas. Put them back in. Crank. Car started for few seconds and then shuts off. I then cranked the engine and stepped on the gas peddle and the car kicked over but ran rough until I let go the peddle (then it shuts off). White smoke was coming out of the tailpipe. I could smell the gas also. Now the car is back to original state again. Just cranking. I think the the fuel is going to keep on injecting no matter if the car starts or not. Now it probably is filled with excess gas again.

I need to check for the jumped timing like you mentioned because that could be a significant factor. To do it, do I turn the engine manually and set the 1st piston to the top where the pressure (air) releases and then check to see the location of the rotor?

I am going to check the compression today and leave the fuel pressure out for now as I don't have the tool for it. That way, I would be able to eliminate the culprit down to a bad engine (whether it be of piston or valves), bad computer (since it is an electronic fuel injection system), injectors not closing a valve or something, or bad fuel pump.

LILNOBLE
  • 1983 TOYOTA CRESSIDATOYOTA CRESSIDA

I have a 89 cressida that wont turn over. Battery good, starter good, reley fine whats next to check.

BLACKOP555

Check for spark. Sparks should be bright blue and well defined. Also check for fuel pressure at the fuel rail.

-1

Remove no.1 plug then crank engine in short burst till you feel pressure on your finger or whatever. -Stop and manually turn the crank to line the marks at the pulley. Now open up the cap and look where that rotor is pointing it better be pointing to no.1 cap tower if not you've found your problem.

Good luck I'll be standing by-Happy New